DUSDAC restructures before new food trucks visit in coming weeks

<p>DUSDAC discussed its internal structure, salad labeling and food trucks it will sample in the coming weeks at its meeting Monday night.</p>

DUSDAC discussed its internal structure, salad labeling and food trucks it will sample in the coming weeks at its meeting Monday night.

At its meeting Monday, Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee discussed plans to simplify its committee structure from five subcommittees to two.

This year, instead of having one chairperson, two co-chairs and five subcommittee heads, DUSDAC will have only the chair and two co-chair positions. One co-chair will oversee on-campus issues such as vendors and relations with Duke Student Government and The Chronicle, and the other co-chair will oversee off-campus issues such as the Merchants-on-Points program. The other members of DUSDAC will choose to work with one of the two committees.

“At the end of last year, there was talk about the lack of a co-chair," DUSDAC chair Brian Taylor, a senior, said. "There were two people who expressed interest in it, and after talking to them we we decided to change the way the committee operates."

DUSDAC also discussed a potential salad mislabeling situation in Saladelia Cafe at Perkins Library.

“Some salads are mislabeled, and some are just not consistently labeled,” said DUSDAC member Betsy Mansfield, a senior. 

Being gluten-free herself, Mansfield noticed that the salmon salad was denoted as gluten-free, but in the fine print said it contained wheat and soy. Additionally, the chicken caesar salad contains focaccia croutons, but its label does not mention that the salad contains wheat.

“It’s not as big of a deal for people like me who are gluten-free because I can just use my eyes," she said. "But for people that are allergic to soy or eggs—which aren’t as easily visible in the dressing or anything—it makes me worried that someone will grab something and have an allergic reaction."

Committee members mentioned that two food trucks—gluten-free Vietnamese option Bang Bang Banh Mi and Bandido’s Mexican Café—are interested in taking the vacant food truck spot. DUSDAC will most likely begin sampling these food trucks in two weeks, Taylor said. 

Share and discuss “DUSDAC restructures before new food trucks visit in coming weeks” on social media.