DUPD arrests 3 for move-in burglaries on West

<p>Keohane Quadrangle was one of the sites of burglaries that occurred during upperclassmen move-in. DUPD recently arrested three men after investigations.</p>

Keohane Quadrangle was one of the sites of burglaries that occurred during upperclassmen move-in. DUPD recently arrested three men after investigations.

Duke University Police Department has arrested three individuals for thefts on West Campus.

During orientation week and upperclassmen move-in, several West Campus residents were victims of burglary—primarily in Few and Keohane Quadrangles. DUPD has been investigating these crimes since they occurred and has made three arrests after obtaining sufficient information in the past two weeks. Kyle Cavanaugh, vice president of administration, said he is impressed with the work done by DUPD officers.

“The investigative units of the Duke Police really did an outstanding job,” he said. “It’s very difficult to identify who committed these types of crimes.”

The three individuals arrested were not students and were Emmanuel Lee Percell, charged with felony breaking and entering and obtaining property by false pretense; Nariq Cashmir Hendricks, charged with misdemeanor breaking and entering and an appending charge of possession of stolen property; and Jeremy Noel Little, charged with breaking and entering and obtaining property by false pretense. 

John Dailey, chief of police for DUPD, noted that quick response times contributed to the investigation’s success.

“These crimes were solved by prompt calls from employees and students and the response of our police officers,” he wrote in an email.

The arrested individuals most likely committed the thefts by “tailgating,” or following students into buildings after they entered, Cavanaugh explained. They may also have gained entry through unlocked doors or doors that were propped open.

DUPD is working to recover any stolen property that they can, Dailey noted.

Dean for Residential Life Joe Gonzalez said he is hopeful that these arrests will bring the thefts to an end. He added that it is important for students, staff and police officers to constantly be on the lookout for individuals who might commit crimes on campus, even though these events are rare.

“We are very fortunate that the overwhelming amount of time our community is a very safe environment,” he said.

Junior Lucas Donaldson, a resident of Few HH—one of the dormitories burgled—noted that he feels more comfortable on campus now that arrests have been made but is not entirely at ease.

“It still seems like a pretty common problem, and I don’t feel completely safe leaving my door unlocked all the time,” he said.

Update: This story was updated to clarify that the individuals arrested were not students.

Share and discuss “DUPD arrests 3 for move-in burglaries on West” on social media.