Duke women's cross country makes short trek for adidas XC Challenge

<p>All of Duke's healthy runners will toe the line Friday at the adidas XC Challenge as the Blue Devils look to build early-season momentum.</p>

All of Duke's healthy runners will toe the line Friday at the adidas XC Challenge as the Blue Devils look to build early-season momentum.

The Blue Devils will look to finish September strong with a meet against several other in-state opponents.

After defeating N.C. Central in the Bull City Classic last weekend, the Blue Devil women will make the short trek to Cary, N.C., for the five-kilometer adidas XC Challenge Friday at 6 p.m. Duke did not compete in the event last year, but captured the team title in 2013, with five runners finishing in the top 10.

The Blue Devils are looking to ride the momentum gained from their victory against the Eagles—in which Duke claimed each of the first five spots—to take home the College Women Division I portion of Friday’s race. Due to the race’s close proximity to Durham, several Blue Devils are familiar with the terrain.

“A lot of the girls have run that course before,” Duke head coach Christine Engel said, "It will be nice to have a frame of reference from a fitness standpoint."

As there is no limit on the number of athletes who can compete for each team, Duke plans on racing anyone who is physically able.

“Everyone that is healthy will be racing,” Engel said. “We have a couple people who have been sick this week, so hopefully they seem to be on the mend. But that’s the intention of it is to race the full squad.”

Junior Madison Granger will be among the Blue Devils to compete Friday evening. Granger crossed the line in 18:08 at the Bull City Classic, which earned her a tie for third place. The Belchertown, Mass., native won the Three Stripe Invitational last season in Cary.

“[I am] really looking forward to opening up [Granger] in her first race, well, first real race after today,” Engel said following the Bull City Classic. “[I am] really looking forward to closing some of those gaps from the Alumni Meet we had.”

Allison Sturges, who finished first in the Bull City Classic with a time of 15:41, will also be running in the adidas XC Challenge. The senior harrier, a mile-specialist on the track, will have to adjust to the cross-country terrain in Cary. Although she herself excelled at the Bull City Classic, Sturges is more concerned with how the team fares as a whole this weekend.

“This will be our first bigger meet with our whole team,” Sturges said. “I know I would kind of like to go into it with a team mentality. Obviously you have to focus on yourself and push yourself throughout the race, but I’m hoping our team can score really well and work together. I’d really like to be up there with the pack, hang on as long as I can and be intense and competitive for the whole race.”

Ali Wells contributed reporting.

Jacob Weiss

Jacob Weiss is a Trinity senior. His column, "not jumping to any conclusions," runs on alternate Fridays.

Share and discuss “Duke women's cross country makes short trek for adidas XC Challenge” on social media.