2015 Syracuse football season preview

<p>The Orange will look to improve on last season's 3-9 record.</p>

The Orange will look to improve on last season's 3-9 record.

Although the Orange showed the ability to hang with traditional powerhouses in losses to Florida State and Notre Dame, the end result was a disappointing 3-9 campaign in head coach Scott Shafer’s second season.

Syracuse will have a tough task making a bowl game this season after losing much of its offense from a year ago. Fifth-year senior Terrel Hunt will return at quarterback after missing much of last season due to a fractured fibula, but will need to improve his accuracy and decision-making for the team to win big games. After starting 10 different offensive linemen a season ago, the Orange will hope the unit can stay healthy and succeed despite losing tackle Sean Hickey. The group will be tasked with opening up holes for juniors Devante McFarlane and George Morris. The duo combined for just 292 yards on the ground in 2014 playing behind the top two backs, Prince-Tyson Gulley and Adonis Ameen-Moore.

Syracuse finished 2014 ranked 26th in total defense, allowing a shade less than 350 yards per game. But the Orange will have to overcome the loss of several contributors in order to repeat that performance again this season. Senior defensive tackle Wayne Williams decided to transfer in late June and the team lost linebackers Cameron Lynch and Dyshawn Davis to the NFL, leaving behind an inexperienced group that could go through the growing pains that come with playing in the top-heavy Atlantic Division.

With a schedule featuring tough games against No. 10 Florida State, No. 12 Clemson and No. 14 Louisiana State, Syracuse will have to win the games it is supposed to win if Shafer hopes to lead the Orange back to a bowl.

Share and discuss “2015 Syracuse football season preview” on social media.