Arts are everywhere

Stepping onto Duke’s campus as a newly-minted freshman three years ago, the arts were the furthest thing from my mind. Orientation Week prompted various introductions to far too many students and two academic pathways stood out: economics and pre-med. So you might be the only one who likes to be creative, I reasoned to myself glumly, but at least you’ll have a bunch of friends who can tutor you.

My first impression was very different from the truth. In my three years here I’ve spent hours at the Nasher Museum, processed in Duke Chapel with the Chapel Choir, watched a world-famous Indian dancer through Duke Performances and participated in a Disney movie sing-along in a crowded room of fellow revelers. To paraphrase the famous line from “Love Actually,” ‘art actually is everywhere,’ at least on Duke’s campus.

O-Week throws a lot of arts campus activities at students all at once. Join an a-cappella group—you’ll meet your best friends. Be a member of DUI—you’ll meet your best friends. Do Hoof’n’Horn—do I even need to repeat the refrain? While all of these groups offer something different, they can also make you feel like you have to fit into a distinct niche on campus. Don’t let the arts discourage you.

My motto freshman year was take chances. If one thing didn’t work, try another. If I liked something, I would do it again. Don’t be afraid. There is so much to see and do that you can’t possibly get hung up on one rejection. Or just one passion.

But if you’re an arts lover, and chances are if you’re reading this you are, there is one place you’ll always feel at home: the pages of Recess. We are a unique spot in The Chronicle to think critically about the arts while simultaneously supporting them.

In the issues of Recess, you’ll find stories about campus events, local events and our take on popular culture as a whole. This is a place to discover events on campus that might broaden your perspective. To interact with the arts community at our University and in our city.

Some of my favorite Recess pieces have been profiles of Duke arts leaders most students would never know. Good journalists should pose questions you didn’t even know you had. So that’s what we do. How does the Nasher choose what goes in an exhibit? How do Duke Performances round up their schedule? What famous artists are coming to campus? How can students better take advantage of the local arts scene?

And speaking of local, if I can give one piece of advice to readers of Recess and the current freshmen class (and don’t worry, there’s nothing I love more than advice), explore Durham. The arts scene is not limited to our Gothic Wonderland.

Most Duke students wouldn’t name Durham as the reason they chose Duke. But there is so much to love here. As inhabiters of this place for only four years, we are not able to see the growth it has experienced. Full disclosure—my mother was a Duke student and every time she visits she remarks on how much Durham has changed. But she’s not the only one. This has become a foodie city, a Buzzfeed-written-about city, a New York Times 36 hours city. Durham is not just a place now, it’s a place to be.

And on a more personal note, some of my favorite memories have involved getting off campus. The warm, toasty flavor of a Dr. Durham at Cocoa Cinnamon. A peek into Ninth Street’s classic bookstore The Regulator. A quick brunch at Parker and Otis.

As one of the people I interviewed for this issue said, this is a unique time for Duke students to be in Durham. And admittedly, there’s way more to do here than eat. I’ve only just scratched the surface. But as a senior, I can’t help but feel sentimental and appreciative. Durham and Duke have given me so much. They’ve been my home for three—soon to be four—amazing years.

So take chances. Do unexpected things. Read Recess. We’ll be here each week to see you through it all.

And if you need me, I’ll be enjoying my salted butter caramel at The Parlour.

Elizabeth Djinis is a Trinity senior and the Recess managing editor.

Share and discuss “Arts are everywhere” on social media.