With time winding down, Krzyzewski talks NBA draft

Head coach Mike Krzyzewski has been assisting his quartet of NBA hopefuls as the draft nears Thursday in New York.

More than two months removed from a national championship, Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski is still working his way through an "avalanche" of things to do.

With the NBA draft approaching Thursday night, that includes working the phones on behalf of his former players.

A quartet of Blue Devils—Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow, Tyus Jones and Quinn Cook—have moved on from life in Durham, but Krzyzewski said Tuesday he has been actively working with their agents and families to assist in the pre-draft process.

"We’re part of the kid’s team with his agent, that’s the best way of looking at it," Krzyzewski said. "We know when they’re working out someplace—[associate head coach] Jeff [Capel] especially gets reports. Their agents will let us know, would like you to call this guy or 'Can that guy call you?'…. Some of it’s just 'Stay out of the way' at times. But then the last couple days, I’ve been on the phone quite a bit just doing stuff."

Okafor and Kentucky's Karl-Anthony Towns have been widely scrutinized as the two likeliest candidates to be taken first overall by the Minnesota Timberwolves. A perceived knock on Okafor from his freshman year as a Blue Devil was his vulnerability defending the pick-and-roll, but Krzyzewski pointed to his team's standout defense in the NCAA tournament—the Blue Devils did not allow more than 63 points in any of their six tournament wins—as evidence of the Chicago native's potential on that end of the floor.

Winslow is also assumed to be a surefire lottery pick, with most mock drafts placing him safely inside the top 10. And although the process is out of his hands, Krzyzewski said he hopes his players land with organizations where they will have a chance to contribute.

"It’s not like choosing a college—there’s no choice. I know there’s trades rumored and all that, but it’s a business now," Krzyzewski said. "They’ve got a chance to have a pretty good life in that business, so it’s a good thing."

Jones is projected to be selected in the mid-to-late first round. The Final Four's Most Outstanding Player was invited to attend the draft at the Barclays Center but declined, opting instead to take in the festivities at home.

"Jah found out Tyus isn’t coming—it bummed him out," Krzyzewski said.

Cook's draft status is the haziest of the bunch. After a career year from beyond the arc, the Washington native could sneak into the draft's second round. Cook has worked out for a bevy of NBA teams and will hope that a good impression from those sessions—along with a strong recommendation from Krzyzewski—is enough to overcome a lack of NBA size and land him one of the coveted 60 spots on the draft board.

Krzyzewski may get a chance to reunite with Okafor and Winslow one last time before they hear their names called by NBA commissioner Adam Silver. Krzyzewski will be in New York with the National Association of Basketball Coaches to honor former Georgetown head coach John Thompson Jr. and said he plans to see Okafor, Winslow and their families Wednesday night—but he has no intentions of making an appearance on draft night.

"I never go to the draft," Krzyzewski said. "Jeff is going to be there, just because I want somebody there.... And I don’t want to be at any draft parties or anything like that."

Amrith Ramkumar contributed reporting.

Share and discuss “With time winding down, Krzyzewski talks NBA draft” on social media.