Koplove, Istler, Marvel selected in MLB draft

Four more Blue Devils heard their names called on the final day of the 2015 MLB draft—two of them in nostalgic fashion.

Kenny Koplove was selected by the Philadelphia Phillies—his hometown team—in the 17th round, followed shortly by teammate Andrew Istler to the Los Angeles Dodgers in the 23rd round. Right-hander James Marvel did not pitch this season while recovering from Tommy John surgery, but went to the Pirates in the 36th round. Duke commit Griffin Conine was drafted in the 31st round by the Miami Marlins, where his father, Jeff, played for eight seasons and won two World Series titles with the Marlins.

Koplove, who served as the Blue Devils' shortstop and closer in 2015, has the option to return to Durham for his senior season. The Philadelphia native set a school record with 11 saves, posting a 2.13 ERA in the process. At the plate, he hit .275 with six doubles.

Injuries forced head coach Chris Pollard to reshuffle his weekend rotation during the year, but Istler stepped up and was Duke's most consistent starter during his senior year. The Wellington, Fla., native finished the season with a 5-5 record in 14 starts,a 3.23 ERA and a team-leading 86 1/3 innings pitched.

Like Koplove, Conine must decide whether or not to turn pro instead of suiting up in a Blue Devil uniform next spring. The Weston, Fla., product hit .378 with five doubles and five home runs in 15 games at the Pine Crest School.

Justin Bellinger and Chris McGrath were drafted out of high school in the 2014 draft but opted to come to Duke, where both contributed during their rookie seasons.

Marvel was selected 1,087th by Pittsburgh, but will also have the option to return to Durham for the 2016 season to show scouts that he has fully recovered from elbow surgery.

Share and discuss “Koplove, Istler, Marvel selected in MLB draft” on social media.