Second earthquake delays Nepalese students' relief efforts

Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons
Courtesy of Wikimedia Commons

Although their plans were delayed by a second earthquake Tuesday, four Nepalese students are continuing their campaign to raise funds for relief efforts, which began after the first earthquake struck less than three weeks ago.

Sophomore Suman Bajgain—one of the students who have raised more than $27,000 toward earthquake relief efforts in Nepal—was shopping at a market in Kathmandu, Nepal's capital, for supplies to build shelters Tuesday when the second deadly earthquake struck.

In a message to senior Abhishek Ghimire, Bajgain described a chaotic atmosphere in the market when the 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit—with everyone “running out of their houses and into the streets” and shops almost instantly shutting down. Tuesday's earthquake, which came less than three weeks after a devastating earthquake that killed more than 8,000—hit shortly after noon about 50 miles east of Kathmandu, according to The New York Times.

Bajgain said in his message that the second quake had temporarily stalled, but not ended, his plans to build durable shelters for 70-80 families in Thansing, a village in central Nepal.

"I know people may be wondering where their money is going, but I want to convey that though plans may be delayed, it is being put to good use,” Ghimire said.

Pratiksha Sharma, a sophomore, is also planning to distribute zinc plate roofs, water purifiers and soaps to 70-80 families in southwestern Nepal.

Money will be used to buy materials—including zinc plate roofs, iron-steel pipes, transparent plastic and metal wires—to build durable shelters, according to Bajgain’s message. He noted that he and his fellow volunteers have opted to help build durable shelters instead of distribute tarp tents because of the protection they will provide against inevitable monsoons, which can bring severe wind and hail.

The students created the GoFundMe campaign hours after the first quake struck on Aprl 25—with the initial goal of raising $15,000. Now, with $27,856 raised by 557 people as of Wednesday night, the students hope to reach a $30,000 goal.

Share and discuss “Second earthquake delays Nepalese students' relief efforts” on social media.