Junior year: 2013-14

The student coalition DukeOpen used a banner in front of the Allen Building in Fall 2013 as part of its campaign to increase transparency of University investments. | Chronicle File Photo

Junior year saw the University in flux both physically—as Duke pushed forward with renovations—and administratively, with several key administrators stepping down.

Special to The Chronicle

The start of the school year saw the debut of three structures—the brand-new Penn Pavilion and completely refurbished versions of Baldwin Auditorium and Gross Hall. Serving as a dining hall for two years while West Union is closed for renovations, Penn Pavilion will ultimately function as a space for special events.

The beginning of the renovations to West Union were felt by students, particularly the demolition of part of the Bryan Center Plaza and the closing of several popular eateries. Several food trucks were added to campus to help bolster the dining culture.

Renovations also began on the Rubenstein Library, and work continued on Environment Hall, which opened in Spring 2014.

It was the final year for two of Duke’s top administrators—Provost Peter Lange and Victor Dzau, President and CEO of Duke University Health System. The longest serving provost in the University’s history with 15 years in the position, Lange was eventually replaced by Sally Kornbluth, James B. Duke Professor of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology. Dzau became president of the Institute of Medicine shortly after leaving Duke.

Student coalition DukeOpen made a splash in the Fall with a campaign to increase the University’s investment transparency. Visible protest techniques—including a banner in front of the Allen Building and interrupting a Board of Trustees meeting—garnered attention from students and administrators alike. Administrators agreed to some, though not all, of the coalition’s aims, including expanding the University’s investment advisory group and adding a social choice fund.

The University continued to pursue its global ambitions, with Duke Kunshan University receiving approval from the Chinese government in September. Before opening in Fall 2014, DKU spent the 2013-14 school year beginning to recruit students from Duke and elsewhere.

Chronicle File Photo

Winter 2014 proved to be snowier than normal—”Snowmaggedon” led to four days of canceled classes in January and February, the most that the University has had in at least 10 years. The first Duke-UNC men’s basketball game of the season also fell victim to the snow and was rescheduled shortly before tip-off.

The senior class lost one of its own when Becky DeNardis was killed in a car accident during Spring Break on a trip with Duke’s Outdoor Adventures Program. DeNardis was remembered by friends and family for her warmth and intelligence.

The football team built on its success from the year before, putting together its first winning season and national ranking since 1994. The Blue Devils won the Coastal Division for the first time before losing to eventual national champion Florida State in the ACC title game. For the second consecutive year, the team played in a bowl game and built a big first-half lead before Johnny Manziel and Texas A&M clawed back and pulled out a 52-48 win in the Chick-fil-A Bowl on New Year's Eve.

After a loss to Notre Dame in January, the men’s basketball team fell out of the top 10 in the AP Poll for the first time since 2007. Led by stars Jabari Parker and Rodney Hood, Duke entered the NCAA tournament with Final Four aspirations but did not make it out of the Round of 64 for the second time in three years, falling to 14th-seeded Mercer in Raleigh.

Share and discuss “Junior year: 2013-14” on social media.