Tyus Jones to enter 2015 NBA draft

Freshman point guard Tyus Jones entered the NBA Draft after leading Duke to the national championship.

Tyus Jones and Jahlil Okafor made a joint decision to commit to Duke and head coach Mike Krzyzewski. After winning a national title as freshmen, both have now decided to move on to the pro ranks.

Six days after Okafor and one day after fellow freshman Justise Winslow declared for the NBA draft, Jones announced Wednesday morning that he would follow in his classmates' footsteps and forgo his remaining three years of eligibility in Durham.

“Coming to Duke was a dream of mine and being a part of such a special team was amazing,” Jones said in a press release. “I knew coming in I would be a part of a great team, but I never envisioned I would be a part of such an incredible family. That is what has made winning a national championship such an amazing experience. I am faced with the tough decision of returning to a place I love or pursuing my next dream. With the support and guidance of my family, my coaches, my teammates, and Duke University, I have decided to start my professional career. Even though I am entering the NBA Draft, I will forever be a Duke Blue Devil.”

The Apple Valley, Minn., native capped off a stellar freshman campaign with a 23-point performance in the national championship game against Wisconsin, including 19 in the second half that helped the Blue Devils come from behind and pull away from the Badgers down the stretch. Jones hit multiple clutch shots—he scored six of Duke's final 10 points, including a dagger 3-pointer from the top of the key with less than two minutes remaining—and earned Most Outstanding Player honors for his heroics.

It was the latest in a string of clutch performances by Jones, following late-game takeovers against Michigan State, Virginia and North Carolina. The 6-foot-1 floor general finished the season with 11.8 points per game and also handed out 5.6 assists per contest. Jones thrived under the guidance of both Krzyzewski and senior Quinn Cook, combining with the captain to form one of the most lethal backcourt combinations in the country and the latest in a lineage of two-point guard lineups to cut down the nets at the end of the season.

“Tyus could not have done a better job for us this past year,” Krzyzewski said in the release. “We’re so very happy for him and his family to have the opportunity to declare for the draft. He is projected to be a first-round pick. He’s going to get a lot better, but people have already seen him and know how he handles himself, especially in pressure situations and in the biggest games. He comes through like a champion! I loved coaching him, and I believe he’ll be an outstanding professional. At this time, I think is so appropriate for him to take advantage of this opportunity.”

Jones' departure leaves Duke without a true point guard entering the offseason, though Krzyzewski and his staff are heavily pursuing 2016 five-star floor general Derryck Thornton, who is considering reclassifying to the Class of 2015. The Blue Devil coaches will visit the Chatsworth, Calif., native Monday at his school Findlay Prep in Las Vegas.

Jones is slated as a late first-round selection by DraftExpress.com, pegged No. 21 in the website's latest mock draft.

Share and discuss “Tyus Jones to enter 2015 NBA draft” on social media.