Food insecurity on college campuses

Hunger is more than just a feeling. It is a physical sensation—a staggering pain that can overcome you. For many, it’s also a source of overwhelming anxiety—a fear of the unknown, of being unable to discern where your next meal is coming from, or if it will ever arrive. For 49.1 million Americans, this constant uncertainty is a daily reality. Among these individuals are those you would least suspect—your peers. Imagine yourself in the place of these students, unsure of when you will get the chance to eat again. Imagine being among the 31 percent of students that report the need to choose between purchasing food and paying their tuition. Imagine the desire to further your education at the expense of your well-being. I hope you never have to feel this fear and desperation—that you have the opportunity to further your education, while remaining well-fed and healthy, so that one day you can make a difference for those who are not as fortunate.

Food insecurity refers to the U.S. Department of Agriculture's measurement of access to food sufficient for an active, healthy life for all household members. It is a situation faced by 1 in 5 individuals in the state of North Carolina alone and 1 in 4 children nationwide.

In fact, North Carolina has one of the highest rates of food insecurity in the United States. In the Triangle area alone, 116,000 children are unsure of how they will receive their next meal. Data gathered from the 2014 Hunger in America Study and Food Hardship in America 2012 Report by Feeding America and the Food Research and Action Center, respectively, stated that 61 percent of households statewide reported the need to choose between paying for food and housing, 75 percent forced to decide between purchasing food and heating their homes, and 73 percent willing to sacrifice healthcare and medicine to feed their families. Though chronic food insecurity clearly touches the lives of so many, grasping the magnitude and severity of the problem can be challenging—hunger often persists as an invisible problem, perpetuated by shame and stigma which can cause struggling children and adults to refrain from seeking the help they need.

What if, however, this fear was experienced by your roommate? Your lab partner? The girl you pass as you step onto the C2? It’s hard to imagine that the people around you, your friends and fellow students, could ever be burdened in a such a way. These are the people you see eating at Marketplace and the Loop. However, just beyond their simple smile, you may notice those unable to afford to that extra slice of pumpkin bread or calling frantically to make sure their financial aid will cover next semester’s tuition. It’s the student studying feverishly next to you, knocking back shots of espresso until 2am on Tuesday and going out to forget on Wednesday.

One in ten of the 46.5 million individuals that rely on food pantries and the services of programs like Feeding America are actually college students. At Western Oregon University, food insecurity skyrocketed to an alarming 59 percent in 2014—meaning that over half of students at a single institution do not know where, when, or what they will eat next. WOU is not the exception, however, as universities around the country and here in North Carolina are struggling with large populations of students suffering from food insecurity. The movement toward the creation of college food pantries to tackle hunger amongst college students is beginning to take hold in North Carolina, most recently at North Carolina Central and North Carolina State Universities.

Awareness is half the battle and you can begin to make a difference now. You can work alongside your peers to reduce the stigma associated with seeking help. You can work to establish an open and supportive environment that facilitates understanding. On Duke’s campus, this week we also have the opportunity to address food insecurity in our own community. Join Food, Environment and Development in our end-of-semester class effort to raise awareness and donations to address food insecurity in Durham. Use spare food points or money to donate cans, dry foods or fresh fruits and veggies to be delivered to local food pantries—the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina and the Urban Ministries of Durham. It’s our opportunity to make a difference and be the catalyst for change. We are Duke and we are #DukeFeeds.

Jennifer Callejas is a Trinity sophomore.

Share and discuss “ Food insecurity on college campuses” on social media.