DUSDAC votes on Fall dining selections

DUSDAC members sampled vendors at its final meeting of the semester Monday.

Dining selections on campus may look very different next year.

In the final meeting of the year, the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee voted on food trucks and Merchants-on-Points vendors to be brought to campus in the Fall. Sales data and student opinions from an online survey were taken into account in making decisions regarding food trucks and MOP vendors.

“There’s going to be a lot of transitions next year,” DUSDAC co-chair Greg Lahood, a senior, said. “I think DUSDAC has had a pretty big challenge this year because of the big changes that are in the works, but I think the committee has responded accordingly in all of our discussions.”

Among the highest performing food trucks are Parlez-Vous Crepe, Deli-icious and Gussy’s Greek Street Food. The lowest performing trucks were Mac-Ur-Roni, Captain Ponchos and Chirba Chirba.

Belgian Waffology and Bull City Street Food were both highly rated after the food truck rodeo and are under serious consideration to be added to the rotation next year.

“For Belgian Waffology, we found the reaction from students was overwhelmingly positive,” DUSDAC co-chair Brian Taylor, a junior, said. “Bull City Street Food is really unique with its rotating menu, so it adds a lot of variety with just one option.”

Among MOP vendors, Sushi Love, Enzo’s Pizza and Mediterra Grill were the most popular, according to the student survey. Skewer’s Bar and Grill, Palace International and Papa John’s were among the least popular.

Although Dunkin’ Donuts was voted to become the newest MOP earlier this semester, difficulties with contracts delayed the chain’s addition to the program. Based on student interest, other possible additions to the MOP program are Noodles and Company and Tijuana Flats.

“Noodles and Co. is something students are familiar with and students love,” Taylor said. “There are some noodle options here and there but no one place that does it really well. This is a venue that really focuses on it.”

The committee encountered some debate regarding the possible addition of Tijuana Flats to the MOP program with several members strongly objecting.

“We know that students like Tijuana Flats, and they walk over there from East Campus or drive there,” Taylor said. “When Tijuana came in to present to us, they really showed us that their food can be fresh.”

In the first half of the meeting, DUSDAC sampled selections from potential vendors for the West Union. Although no contracts have been signed, a food fair at the meeting gave members the chance to look at potential food offerings that could become available as early as February 2016, according to Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey.

Coffey added that this was a conceptual meeting that allowed members to see preliminary plans and what food niches would be filled.

Options included an Asian venue that offered stir-fry and sushi, a dessert vendor and a woodfire pizza venue. All of the food options were well-received by committee members.

“Overall, it’s very exciting to see,” Taylor said. “We’ve waited so long for [the West Union to open] and there are so many new options that are going to improve dining on campus.”

Share and discuss “DUSDAC votes on Fall dining selections” on social media.