Winslow puts it all together to earn a trip home

Justise Winslow stuffed the stat sheet with 13 points, 12 rebounds, five assists, four steals and three blocks in Sunday’s win against San Diego State. The victory will send Winslow home to Houston for the Sweet 16.

CHARLOTTE, N.C.—Houston, Justise is coming home.

In Sunday’s Round of 32 victory against San Diego State, freshman forward Justise Winslow stuffed the stat sheet and—along with another big performance from rookie center Jahlil Okafor—secured Duke’s spot in the Sweet Sixteen, which will be hosted in Winslow's hometown of Houston.

"It’s big. I know [Winslow]’s going to see all his family," senior captain Quinn Cook said. "All his family is going to be there. It’s just great to move onto the next round. I know one of his goals was to get to a Final Four, so we got where we can complete it."

Winslow went for 13 points, 12 rebounds, five assists, four steals and three blocks and for the first time all season, the aggressiveness he would use in spurts—such as the five-point personal run he had in the Round of 64 against Robert Morris—was present for every one of the 34 minutes he was on the floor.

The difference between an aggressive Winslow and a reigned-in Winslow is drastic. As the pressure is magnified with each game in the tournament, the 6-foot-6 freshman stepped up on an afternoon when the Blue Devil bench went for just five points and proved that a Duke team with Okafor and an aggressive Winslow is a dangerous one.

Don’t believe it? Ask the Aztecs.

A great attacker and slasher in transition, Justise Winslow helped speed up the game and get the Aztecs out of their comfort zone.

San Diego State had been the nation’s second-best defense in terms of points allowed per game at 53.9. The Blue Devils finished with 68 points, making them just the fourth team this season to eclipse the 65-point mark against the Aztecs. With Okafor owning the attention of two or three San Diego State defenders at a time, the lane was open for Winslow to slash through and finish at the rim, which he did on several occasions.

“It takes us to a whole other level,” Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski said. “Those two kids played at a really high level this afternoon. And Justise, a lot, was on their best player, [senior guard J.J.] O’Brien, who I think a lot of people feel is the best player in that conference.”

It is no secret that Winslow is among the best athletes in college basketball. His blocks have dominated Vine all season long and his ability to take the ball the length of the court and convert or get fouled has dropped plenty of jaws. But what the swingman had not done is consistently put it all together.

Justise Winslow had three emphatic blocks in the Blue Devils' win Sunday.

In Sunday’s game, Winslow did just that, dominating the defensive glass, holding O’Brien—who scored 18 points against St. John’s in the Round of 64—to eight points on 2-of-10 shooting and nearly registering a double-double by halftime. And of course, he brought the Duke crowd to its feet by doing things only he can.

There was one sequence that will likely live on in the halls of Youtube and SportsCenter lore for the rest of the tournament. With Duke leading 30-15, O’Brien stripped Tyus Jones and drove past the rookie guard toward the basket for what seemed to be an easy layup. Winslow—who had run the length of the floor—flew in, back turned to the basket, and sent O’Brien’s shot flying back down to earth.

Jones then scooped up the ball, drove upcourt and found Cook for a 3-pointer in the right corner that would put an exclamation point on a clinical half for the Blue Devils.

“Justise was big-time tonight,” Jones said. “He stepped up, especially on the defensive end—[he had] a couple big blocks that led to some transition buckets. He just stepped up for us tonight.”

But what makes Winslow special is that he is more than just an athlete. He is—minus a pair of judo-kicks—a smart basketball player who knows when to give the ball up and when to put his head down and power ahead.

It is this versatility that makes Winslow key to Duke's title hopes. Although much of the attention on the team is sent the way of Okafor, Cook and Jones, Winslow has proved all season that when one of the three is having an off night, he can step in and provide the needed spark. Sunday’s performance was just another example of this, but it was one that came at the perfect time.

When it was all said and done, the dangerous swingman had one of his best showings of the season and moved Duke one win closer to the title. And now he gets to go home.

“That was a goal of ours—to get [Winslow] back there,” Jones said. “To get to the national championship, we have to go through Houston. We’re excited to be back in the Sweet 16 and we’re excited to get him back to Houston.”

Share and discuss “Winslow puts it all together to earn a trip home” on social media.