Utilities upgrades add construction detours on Towerview

Utilities work will be causing blockage to pedestrians and traffic on Towerview Road and Union Drive in progressive phases until November.

The project is a seven-month process to upgrade and relocate gas and hot water lines and centralizing Duke's power system affected portions of Towerview Road. The first phase of changes, which started Monday, included fencing installed at the end of Union Drive and closing the crosswalk from the Beta Lot, and the work will continue to affect traffic and pedestrians until November.

Starting April 6, construction trailers will block parts of sidewalks near the Union Drive-Towerview Road intersection and no pedestrians will be allowed on Union Drive starting from the Penn Pavilion.

Starting May 11, the eastbound lane of Towerview will be closed starting near the Union-Towerview intersection, as well as continuing the previously listed impacts.

Starting July 26, all pedestrian traffic will be moved to the south side of Towerview and several hundred feet of sidewalk will be closed on the north side. The westbound lane of Towerview will be closed starting near the Union-Towerview intesection.

From Aug. 23 to Oct 16, the westbound lane of Towerview will reopen but the eastbound lane will close.

From mid-August to mid-November, both lanes of traffic will be open, but pedestrians will be detoured around construction until the end of the project.

Share and discuss “Utilities upgrades add construction detours on Towerview” on social media.