University announces relocation of Chapel services during renovations

Duke has announced the relocation of many events that normally take place in the Duke Chapel while it undergoes renovation until Spring 2016.

The Duke Chapel will be closing for renovations immediately following Commencement activities this year.

Starting May 11, the restoration will include rehabilitating the ceiling and replacing the Chapel's original roof, and will take approximately a year to complete.

The renovations will also include restoring stained-glass windows and woodwork including pews, according to Duke News. Visitors will still be able to enter the Chapel while work is being done on the ceiling and replacing the original lead-coated copper roof.

"Duke Chapel is more than just a building," said Rev. Luke Powery, dean of Duke Chapel, in a Duke News release. "During this year of restoration, we hope to become known as 'a church without walls' as the Chapel continues to offer outreach to the people of Duke, Durham and beyond."

The University has also announced the relocation of many events that normally take place in the Duke Chapel while it undergoes renovation, several of which are as follows:

• Goodson Chapel: Choral vespers worship services; 9 p.m. Sunday Catholic Mass; Maunday Thursday servicce.
  • Page Auditorium: 2015-16 University worship services; Good Friday services.
  • Cameron Indoor Stadium: Christmas Eve worship services; 11 a.m. Easter Day worship services.
  • Chapel Conference Room: Monday and Wednesday Catholic Mass.
  • Duke Gardens: Sunrise Easter Day worship services.
  • Baldwin Auditorium: Summer 2015 University worship services.
  • Chapel Basement: Midweek prayer services.

Share and discuss “University announces relocation of Chapel services during renovations” on social media.