Kevin White one of three new members to join U.S. Olympic Committee

The United States Olympic Committee board of directors has approved Kevin White, Duke vice president and director of athletics, to join the 16-member committee.

In a meeting in Washington, D.C. Friday, White had his selection to the United States Olympic Committee board of directors approved by the current members on the board. Joining White as the newest additions to the group are Daniel Doctoroff, the former CEO of Bloomberg LP, and Steve Mesler, a three-time Olympic bobsledder and president/CEO of Classroom Champions.

“To be sure, I am incredibly honored and humbled to become a member of the United States Olympic Committee Board of Directors,” White said in Duke's press releads. “The ideals of the Olympic movement, including excellence, friendship and respect, represent the very best athletics has to offer. When the Olympics commence, the world stops – not only to watch the incredible competition, but to celebrate what unites all of us. That is why being a part of this esteemed board, which is tasked with providing the necessary support for United States Olympic and Paralympic athletes to succeed on the world stage, is so important and fulfilling.”

The new directors were recommended to the board by its Nominating and Governance Committee, and fill the seats of outgoing board members, who completed their elected terms in January 2015. The three are replacing the seats of outgoing board members Bob Bowlsby, John Hendricks and Mary McCagg.

"Today the USOC welcomes three new board members, who are all world-class professionals and are committed to dedicating their talent and expertise to the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic movements,” Chairman Larry Probst said in the official release. “I’m confident the U.S. Olympic and Paralympic family will benefit from their leadership, experience and diverse skill sets, and we look forward to working with them in the years ahead.”

The committee is directed by the board in addition to its professional staff led by CEO Steve Blackmun. The 16-member committee is made up of three representatives from both the Athletes’ Advisory Council and National Governing Bodies Council and six independent members.

White will join the committee as a representative the NGBC. Doctoroff will be one of the six independent members and Mesler will represent the AAC.

Share and discuss “Kevin White one of three new members to join U.S. Olympic Committee” on social media.