DUSDAC considers Asian-Hispanic fusion cuisine

AmigoSan, a food truck centered in Raleigh, presented to the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee on Monday.

A unique fusion of Asian and Hispanic flavors may soon be added to the campus food truck rotation.

AmigoSan, a food truck centered in Raleigh, presented to the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee on Monday. The food truck offered a variety of options including loaded tater tots, Asian-inspired tacos and Sriracha brownies. AmigoSan owner Ed Sautro said in his presentation that he tries to cater to modern tastes with his constantly evolving menu.

“Ten years ago, I never thought I’d be cooking with kale and fried tofu,” AmigoSan owner Ed Sautro said.

Although items are currently sold a la carte, Sautro considered DUSDAC’s interest in special combo pricing for tacos, a side and drink. Sautro also discussed his experience with the food service industry and expressed his willingness to experiment with different tastes.

DUSDAC members were impressed by the uniqueness of the foods served by AmigoSan, as well as the variety of flavors and numerous combinations that could be created. AmigoSan's menu offers four different international styles of toppings and a selection of proteins that includes tofu.

Some members, however, had concerns about integrating the food truck into the rotation. One issue brought up by the committee was student waiting times, as the food took approximately 26 minutes to serve the committee. Moreover, the food was served uncovered, prompting questions about how the food could be transported to-go. Despite these drawbacks, the committee seemed confident that, if chosen, the relatively new truck would be able to find its stride before coming to campus and adapt easily to student demands.

"People passing by the food truck earlier seemed interested in the menu, and they were also playing Taylor Swift, which was a nice touch," said DUSDAC co-chair Brian Taylor, a junior.

In January, DUSDAC discussed the possibility of increasing the number of food trucks on campus while renovations on West Union continue. There are currently a rotation of seven trucks on campus, serving dinner each weekday evening as well as Sunday brunch. Possibilities previously discussed included Sarge's Chef on Wheels, an Asian and Caribbean food truck, and a Belgian waffle truck.

Share and discuss “DUSDAC considers Asian-Hispanic fusion cuisine” on social media.