2015 NCAA tournament preview: VCU Rams

Virginia Commonwealth Rams

Record: 26-9, 12-6 Atlantic 10

Head Coach: Shaka Smart (6th season)

Season summary: When senior Briante Weber broke into tears at half court following his team’s victory in the Atlantic 10 championship game, it became clear that the Rams are playing for much more than themselves this March. Weber—who finished just 11 steals shy of the all-time NCAA record and was the heart and soul of this Virginia Commonwealth squad—had his season cut short when he tore his ACL, MCL and meniscus at the end of January. The Rams lost six of 10 following their star’s surgery and were left for dead by many experts who believed that replacing Weber would be impossible.

Yet, behind the motivation of Weber on the sidelines and coach Shaka Smart’s famous “Havoc” defense, VCU appears to have rounded into form just at the right time. The Rams come into the tournament having won five straight led by the improved play of guard JeQuan Lewis, who replaced Weber following his injury. With capable 3-point shooters, a coach that ranks as one of the best young minds in the game and a growing comfort playing without Weber, expect VCU to be a tough out.

How they make a run: The “Havoc” defense wreaks havoc and fuels the up-tempo game the Rams like to play.

How they falter: Virginia Commonwealth struggles to continue shooting well from beyond the arc and fails to force turnovers without the defensive presence of Weber.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: VCU Rams” on social media.