2015 NCAA tournament preview: North Carolina Tar Heels

North Carolina Tar Heels

Record: 24-11, 11-7 ACC

Head coach: Roy Williams (12th season)

Season summary: Which Tar Heels squad will show up? Despite having talent on-par with some of the top teams in the nation, North Carolina stumbled to a fifth-place finish in the ACC and a No. 4 seed in the NCAA tournament due to its inconsistent play. The Tar Heels are led by the devastating paint combo of Brice Johnson, Kennedy Meeks and Isaiah Hicks that has made North Carolina the second-best rebounding team in the nation. The big bodies down low are perfect complements for the athleticism of J.P. Tokoto and the outside shooting of Justin Jackson.

But the Tar Heels' postseason dreams will ultimately depend on the play of junior Marcus Paige. During a rough stretch in which North Carolina dropped five of seven games, the preseason All-American’s nagging foot injury hindered his performance. However, Paige showed what he is capable of doing when healthy with his late-game heroics in a win against Virginia in the ACC tournament. Look for Paige to assert his status as one of the best players in the college game during the Big Dance.

How they make a run: The Tar Heels play with high intensity for a full 40 minutes and get timely 3-pointers from Jackson and Paige.

How they falter: North Carolina plays to the level of its opponent and Paige’s impact on the game is limited because he is hounded on the perimeter.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: North Carolina Tar Heels” on social media.