2015 NCAA tournament preview: Iowa Hawkeyes

Iowa Hawkeyes

Record: 21-11, 12-6 Big Ten

Head coach: Fran McCaffery (5th season)

Season summary: The Hawkeyes had a very up-and-down season, often dropping two or three games at a time before breaking the slide. However, Iowa ended its regular season on a high note with a six-game winning streak—including an 81-77 overtime win against Big Ten rival Penn State—to finish tied for third in the league standings. Despite its 11 losses, McCaffery's team does know how to win in big games, having defeated North Carolina 60-55 on the road in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.

An experienced lineup may also be the key to Iowa's success in the tournament. Senior forward Aaron White, who averages a team-high 16.0 points per game, is backed in the starting lineup by juniors Mike Gesell (7.1 PPG, 3.9 APG), Jarrod Uthoff (12.3 PPG, 6.3 RPG) and Adam Woodbury(6.7 PPG, 5.2 RPG)

How they make a run: The forward duo of White and Uthoff plays to its potential, helping Iowa start another winning streak at the right time.

How they falter: The Hawkeyes have a tendency to go on losing streaks and coming off their 67-58 loss to Penn State in the Big Ten tournament, the Round of 64 could see a continuation of this trend.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Iowa Hawkeyes” on social media.