2015 NCAA tournament preview: Davidson Wildcats

Davidson Wildcats

Record: 24-7, 14-4 Atlantic 10

Head coach: Bob McKillop (26th season)

Season summary: In their first year in the Atlantic 10 conference, the Wildcats made themselves right at home, claiming the regular season crown. The story of Davidson’s season has been 6-foot-4 guard Tyler Kalinoski. Named the conference player of the year, the senior’s ability to heat up from beyond the arc is reminiscent of former Davidson standout Stephen Curry. But Kalinoski is not the only other Wildcat that teams will need to keep tabs on out on the perimeter. In addition to the senior’s 43 percent mark from deep, sophomore Jack Gibbs, junior Jordan Barham and freshman Jordan Watkins all shoot better than 44 percent from three. Davidson’s perimeter shooting—which ranks second in the country with an average of 10.9 made 3-pointers per game—paces a dangerous offensive attack that averages 79.9 points per contest. The Wildcats did something only three teams have done this year—score more than 70 points against Virginia. Although it came in a losing effort, it happened on the road against the defensively-minded Cavaliers, so don't expect teams to easily shut down the Davidson offense.

How they make a run: Kalinoski and company continue to shoot the lights out and show a flair for the big moments on a journey to the Elite Eight.

How they falter: The Wildcats struggle to find the range from distance and cannot make up for their defensive deficiencies en route to an early exit.

Share and discuss “2015 NCAA tournament preview: Davidson Wildcats” on social media.