Winter weather brings hard commute for workers

The majority of campus eateries were open Tuesday, and bus routes ran from 11 a.m. on—meaning that food services and transportation employees, among others, braved the roads and spent the day working.

Although classes were canceled Tuesday, essential campus staff members continued to work to meet students’ needs.

DukeAlert notified students and faculty of the cancellation shortly before 9 a.m. Tuesday. While students celebrated the news, many Duke employees were already en route to work. The majority of campus eateries were open Tuesday, and bus routes ran from 11 a.m. on—meaning that food services and transportation employees, among others, braved the roads and spent the day working.

“The roads weren’t clear when I left, but I stayed focused, took my time and didn’t play any music,” said Saundra Bullock, a food service coordinator for the Marketplace.

Kelvin Taborn, a Marketplace employee who serves students in line, said he left his house early to make sure he would arrive at work on time.

“The drive wasn’t bad,” Taborn said. “I was scheduled to come in at 11, but I left my house at 10 because I knew I would have to drive slow.”

Bullock explained that her proximity to campus made her commute easier.

“The drive was a straight shot, so I didn’t have to change lanes or anything which would’ve been hard,” she said.

For those who were unable to drive or did not wish to, Duke Vans picked up workers from their homes so they would not have to risk navigating potentially icy roads themselves.

“Some people drive themselves, and others get picked up,” said Valacey Bey, a food service worker at the Marketplace. “I got picked up, and it was a smooth ride.”

Bey noted that she appreciates the chance to work on days when classes are cancelled for inclement weather because Duke increases the workers’ pay.

“If you come, you make 10 percent extra of what you make,” she explained. “If you don’t come, you don’t get penalized though.”

Despite braving the cold and ice to commute to work, many employees were still in good spirits.

“I really enjoy coming to work,” said Bullock.

Share and discuss “Winter weather brings hard commute for workers” on social media.