DKU executive vice chancellor Bullock to retire

Mary Brown Bullock, executive vice chancellor of DKU, paints a ceremonial lion's eyes at the Kunshan campus's grand opening ceremony in November.

Mary Brown Bullock, executive vice chancellor of Duke Kunshan University, will retire this summer.

Bullock has held the position since 2012—overseeing the planning and launch of the university as its head academic and administrative officer. The search for her successor will begin immediately, led by a committee of Duke faculty appointed by Provost Sally Kornbluth and the DKU Board of Trustees.

“This has been an incredibly rewarding experience for me, both personally and professionally,” Bullock said in a Duke News release. “I am so proud of what we have created here in Kunshan, and while it will be hard to step away, I look forward to watching the university continue to grow and flourish.”

The announcement of Bullock's retirement comes just a week after another high-ranking DKU administrator announced her departure—Nora Bynum, vice provost for DKU and China initiatives. Bynum's successor has been identified as James Dobbins, director of the graduate program in medical physics.

As executive vice chancellor, Bullock oversaw the recruitment of the DKU faculty and preparation for the university's first academic programs. Currently in its first year after several years of planning and delays, the joint-venture university offers three graduate degree programs and an undergraduate semester program.

Bullock has extensive experience as a scholar of China and United States-China relations. From 1995 to 2006, she served as president of Agnes Scott College in Georgia.

The search committee for Bullock's replacement is as follows, according to the release:

• Randall Kramer, committee chair, professor of environmental economics and global health in the Nicholas School of the Environment, and deputy director of the Duke Global Health Institute
  • Susan Alberts, professor of biology
  • William Boulding, dean of the Fuqua School of Business and J.B. Fuqua professor of business administration
  • Rey Chow, Anne Firor Scott professor of literature and director of the Program in Literature
  • Marc Deshusses, professor of civil and environmental engineering, research professor of global health and director of the Energy Engineering Degree Program in the Pratt School of Engineering
  • William Johnson, professor of classical studies
  • Lisa Keister, Gilhuly Family professor of sociology
  • Emerson Niou, professor of political science
  • Kenneth Rogerson, associate professor of the practice in the Sanford School of Public Policy and director of undergraduate studies in the Sanford School
  • Shenglan Tang, professor of medicine and global health, associate director for DKU and China initiatives in the Duke Global Health Institute, and director of the DKU Global Health Research Center
  • Erika Weinthal, Lee Hill Snowdon professor of environmental policy and associate dean for international programs at the Nicholas School of the Environment.

Share and discuss “DKU executive vice chancellor Bullock to retire” on social media.