Muslim adhan held on Chapel quad

Several hundred people attended the Muslim adhan, or call-to-prayer, on the lawn in front of the Duke Chapel today at 1 p.m.

The prayer has generated significant controversy after Duke announced Tuesday that it would hold the adhan in the Chapel bell tower each Friday. The University then reversed the decision on Thursday afternoon, citing "serious and credible safety concerns" following the reaction to the announcement.

The prayer, which was delivered inside and amplified by a speaker in front of the Chapel doors, started with and introductory explanation of the history of the adhan, given by a member of the Muslim Students Association.

"For 1,400 years, this call-to-prayer or a similar format of it has been given across the entire world," the student said. "East, west, doesn't matter. Calling people to prayer, calling people to remember God. We are so grateful to everyone who has showed their support. We love all of you. We pray for those who haven't showed their support. We love them too, because thats what a Muslim is supposed to be."

The prayer was then delivered in both the English and Arabic translations, with the English reading as follows:

God is the greatest. God is the greatest. God is the greatest. God is the greatest.
I bear witness that there is no god except God. I bear witness that there is no god except God.
I bear witness that Mohammed is the messenger of God. I bear witness that Mohammed is the messenger of God.
Come quickly to the prayer. Come quickly to the prayer.
Come quickly to success. Come quickly to success.
God is the greatest. God is the greatest.
There is no god but God.

The English version was spoken aloud, whereas the Arabic version was sung:

After the prayer was finished, Muslim students from the crowd headed into the Chapel basement for their weekly prayer service. Many members of the crowd stayed for several minutes to talk amongst themselves, hug and speak with media.

Duke faced backlash from a number of individuals outside the University, notably from Franklin Graham, son of the Rev. Billy Graham and president and CEO of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association, who made a Facebook post Thursday telling Duke donors and alumni to withhold support until Duke reversed the decision. Many students have since responded on social media, defending the right of Muslim students to have the adhan in the bell tower.

Sarah Martindell, a third-year master's of divinity student, noted that students and faculty at the Divinity School have expressed a variety of opinions about the situation but that she disagreed with the reversal.

"I came out to show signs of peace to my Muslim neighbors and to show that I support their prayers and lives of faith," Martindell said, holding a sign reading "Duke Divinity Supports You." "If it had gone through like originally planned, it would have been such a gesture of peace and support that you can't put a price on."

Several other students noted their frustration with the University's change in plans.

"I think it should be at the top of the chapel, I think it should have happened," said Charlotte Lee, a senior and member of the Presbyterian Campus Ministry. "I thought that we were in a time and place... that we could handle a call-to-prayer as part of a religiously pluralistic campus."

Lee noted the turnout, which was approximately 500 people, demonstrated widespread support across campus for Muslim students, as did the absence of protesters.

Candice Benbow, a third-year master's of divinity student, said she came as a member of the church to stand in solidarity with MSA and stand for the right to share space equally with other faiths.

"As an African-American student, I [also] came because it was just 50 years ago this place was even integrated… that we were being denied," Benbow said. "If we don't remember that and keep it in the forefront of our minds, then we are doomed to continue to perpetuate the same injustices."

Benbow also noted she was not convinced that security concerns were the explanation behind the reversal of the University's decision to have the prayer in the bell tower.

"If we can protect the Duke Basketball games, then we can protect the Duke Chapel having Muslim prayers," she said.

Share and discuss “Muslim adhan held on Chapel quad” on social media.