HALFTIME REPORT: Duke 35, Miami 34

As the Blue Devils head into the locker room at Cameron Indoor Stadium, No. 4 Duke leads the visiting Hurricanes 35-34 looking to bounce back from its first loss of the season.

A strong Miami start prevented Duke from taking its first lead of the game until inside 12 minutes remaining in the first half. Neither team took control throughout the period, a fast-paced affair that did not feature a significant run from either side.

The biggest play of the half may have been a monstrous block by Justise Winslow with 2:42 remaining in the half on what appeared to be a wide-open, fast break layup for Miami’s Angel Rodriguez. The play not only kept the Hurricanes from going up by six late in the half, but also gave the Blue Devils some momentum.

Jahlil Okafor leads the scoring for Duke with nine points and he has had some help from both Amile Jefferson and Rasheed Sulaimon who have eight apiece to start the game. The Blue Devils also hold a slight advantage on the glass, outrebounding the Hurricanes 22-17 in the half.

Here are some observations from the first half:

• After shaking up the starting lineup against N.C. State by starting Matt Jones instead of Amile Jefferson, head coach Mike Krzyzewski decided to return to the lineup he had been using all season and put Jefferson back in.
  • The lineup change proved effective early on as Jefferson and Okafor combined for 13 of Duke’s first 16 points. They finished with 17 combined at the end of the half.
  • Neither team shot particularly well from the stripe in the half with Miami shooting 57.1 percent compared to Duke’s 54.5 percent. The Hurricanes reached the line 14 times, while the Blue Devils were sent to the line 11 times.
  • Foul trouble has played its part in the game so far as the refs continue to call play tightly. Matt Jones sits in the worst shape for Duke with three fouls and Rasheed Sulaimon has two himself. For Miami, three players have two fouls heading into the second half: guard Ja’Quan Newton, guard Davon Reed and forward Omar Sherman.
  • Rodriguez has been just as good as advertised for Miami shooting the ball from distance. The transfer guard is shooting just 3-for-7 on the day for nine points but is 2-for-3 from beyond the arc.

Share and discuss “HALFTIME REPORT: Duke 35, Miami 34” on social media.