DSG decharters 50 student groups

Lesley Chen-Young
Lesley Chen-Young

Duke Student Government dechartered more than 50 student groups and funded a large group of student activities.

In its first meeting of the Spring 2015 semester, the DSG Senate voted on a statute to decharter 56 groups due to their failure to re-register or go through student group training during the Fall.

The statue allows the University Center of Activities and Events and the Student Organization Finance Committee to ensure that student groups are following University rules and regulations and also prevents money from sitting unused in student group accounts.

DSG also voted to fund a variety of student group activities. Inside Joke received $1,998 to rent Sheafer Theater and advertise for a stand-up show; the Asian Students Association received $3,460 to bring in a comedian, the Me Too Monologues received $4,350 to bring in a speaker to discuss eating disorders and body image, the Muslim Students Association received $3,525 to bring in a comedian to address racism and Islamophobia, the Duke Asian American Theater received $1,592 to facilitate their annual 24 hour production, Alpha Kappa Delta Phi received $1,615 to bring in the runner up Miss America to speak about her experience as an Asian American in a white-dominated competition and the Duke Consulting Club received $3,580 to hold a workshop to prepare students for consulting interviews.

DSG also recognized three groups—Desarolla, which connects students to Latin American communities; the Undergraduate Council for Middle Eastern Studies, which builds connections between students, faculty, and professionals and careers; and the Duke Curling Club.

In other business:

Senator for Equity and Outreach John Guarco, a sophomore, explained a new Facebook page created by the Equity and Outreach Committee, which will provide a support and information center for sexual assault victims, in addition to serving as a platform for women’s advocacy groups at Duke.

The You Don’t Say Campaign received $380 for banners from the Financial Oversight and Appeals Committee.

The Senate passed a statute to provide Fix My Campus with $70 to install a dataport for an ePrint center in the Physics building.

Share and discuss “DSG decharters 50 student groups” on social media.