Duke women's basketball hosts No. 8 Kentucky seeking signature win

Coming off of season-high offensive outputs of 92 and 95 points in victories against Oklahoma and UMass-Lowell respectively, the Blue Devils are finding their rhythm right in the nick of time. Another opportunity for a marquee nonconference win awaits Sunday.

No.13 Duke will face a stiff test against No. 8 Kentucky at 3 p.m. at Cameron Indoor Stadium. The Blue Devils enter Sunday’s contest having dropped three consecutive games against ranked opponents and will look to avoid a similar fate against the Wildcats.

“We’re trying to get better through all three of these games and really grow our defense,” Duke head coach Joanne P. McCallie said. “We need to improve in all facets of the game.”

In its three losses against top-25 opponents this season, Duke (7-3) has managed to remain competitive for the duration of the game, only to falter down the stretch with a chance to win late.

But since its heart-breaking loss to top-ranked South Carolina Dec. 7, the Blue Devils have shown steady improvement in their play, thanks in part to the return of a healthy Elizabeth Williams. The All-American center has averaged 19.0 points and 13.5 rebounds per game in her last two games, including a dominant 26-point, 20-rebound outing against the Sooners.

Williams was one of six Blue Devils in double-figures Friday against the River Hawks, indicative of a balanced offensive attack capable of hurting opponents both inside and out. For the first time in several games, Duke did not hurt itself with self-inflicted wounds, limiting its turnovers to nine and holding UMass Lowell to eight fastbreak points.

“Our transition defense needs to improve; we’ve had some weak spots there,” McCallie said. “Our shot-contesting needs to improve; we’ve had some weak spots there. Our turnovers improved against UMass-Lowell but it would be much better if our turnovers improved against Kentucky.”

One key to defeating Kentucky Sunday will be to get a strong performance from Owensboro, Ky., native Rebecca Greenwell. In the three losses this season, teams have paid extra attention to the sharp-shooting redshirt freshman, who has been held to 34-percent shooting in the three defeats.

Strong play from Greenwell and her fellow guards will open up more room inside for Williams and company to operate down low and will be crucial if Duke needs to protect another late-game lead with sound ball handling and clock management.

“They’re pretty much eight-deep and we’re eight or nine deep as well,” McCallie said. “The bottom line is that you have to play the five people on the floor and take away what they do well… We have to make them defend us because of our height advantage.”

As has been the case for most of the season, the Blue Devils will look to use their superior size in the post to dictate the tempo of the game. Duke ranks as the top rebounding team in the nation and a decisive advantage on the boards will go a long way in the Blue Devils’ effort to pull off the upset.

But don’t expect things to be easy for Duke Sunday.

The Wildcats enter Sunday’s contests already with a pair of early-season top-10 victories against then-No. 8 Baylor and then-No. 7 Louisville under their belts. Kentucky—which advanced to the Sweet 16 a year ago—is led by a combination of speedy guards who are sure to test the relatively inexperienced Blue Devils backcourt.

Senior point guard Jennifer O’Neill leads the team in scoring with 15.0 points per game. But guards Makayla Epps, Linnae Harper, and Janee Thompson have also been instrumental in pacing the Kentucky offense, which ranks 28th in the nation in scoring offense at 79.9 points per game.

“Guard lineups with four guards on the floor, single post. They have a lot of 3-point shooting, ” McCallie said.

But the Wildcats were dealt a big blow last Sunday, when it was announced that senior Bria Goss—who ranks 21st on Kentucky’s all-time scoring list—will miss four to six weeks with a broken left thumb. Sunday’s matchup against the Blue Devils will be the first all season for the Wildcats without the services of Goss.

For the young Duke squad, Sunday’s matchup against an experienced Kentucky team will be yet another indicator of how the Blue Devils stack up with the nation’s elite teams.

Share and discuss “Duke women's basketball hosts No. 8 Kentucky seeking signature win” on social media.