Duke to accept 815 early decision applicants

Early decision applicants will make up 48 percent of the Class of 2019—continuing Duke's trend of admitting increasing proportions of the class early in recent years.

Early applicants will be able to view their admissions decisions online at 7 p.m. Thursday, and for 815 of the 3,180 high school seniors, the news will be good. The acceptance rate of 26 percent is the second-lowest Duke has ever posted for the early decision process—one percentage point higher than last year, when the University received a record-high number of early applications and admitted 797 of them.

Of the 815 admits, 652 will join the Trinity College of Arts and Sciences and 163 will enroll in the Pratt School of Engineering, according to a Duke News release.

The proportion of students admitted early to the University has steadily increased over the past several years—jumping from 28 percent for the Class of 2016 to 44 percent for the Class of 2017 and increasing to 47 percent last year.

Nine percent of the admitted students are international, and 35 percent are students of color. North Carolina, New York, California and New Jersey are the best-represented states among the early class.

Share and discuss “Duke to accept 815 early decision applicants” on social media.