Chronicle Top 10 for 2014: Part II

The Chronicle continues its look at the biggest news stories of 2014. Catch up on numbers ten through six here, and take a look at the top picks below.

5) Sexual assault guidelines and cases: sexual assault on college campuses continued to be a topic of national conversation in 2014, and Duke was no different. Following the University's 2013 decision to recommend expulsion as the preferred disciplinary sanction for sexual assault, Duke further adjusted its policies this year—launching a new website to improve access to information on campus sexual assault and including graduate and professional students in the campus disciplinary process for the first time. In December, the University hired its first fulltime Title IX coordinator. Duke's policies garnered particular attention with the case of Lewis McLeod this summer, who sued the school for his diploma in May after being expelled for sexual assault.

4) New provost, new deans, new strategic plan: for the first time in 15 years, Duke began the new school year with a provost other than Peter Lange. Sally Kornbluth, formerly the James B. Duke Professor of Pharmacology and Cancer Biology, became Duke's first female provost—kicking off her tenure by embarking on a new strategic planning process for the University. Several of Duke's schools also saw administrative turnover, with new deans for the School of Nursing and the Nicholas School of the Environment, as well as the announcement that Trinity College of Arts and Sciences dean Laurie Patton will be departing at the end of the school year.

3) A new name for new times: after more than a century as Aycock Residence Hall, the freshman dormitory returned to its original name of East Residence Hall this summer. Named for former North Carolina governor Charles Aycock, the dorm had been the subject of student protest in recent years because of its namesake's ties to the white supremacy movement.

2) A campus abroad: after years of planning, delays and debate, Duke Kunshan University opened its doors to students in August 2014. Duke's first branch campus abroad, the school kicked off its first semester with three graduate degree offerings, as well as an undergraduate semester program. The campus is a work in progress—physically and otherwise—but the first semester ran smoothly overall.

1) Construction chaos: with West Union, Page Auditorium and Rubenstein Library all closed for renovations, one could be forgiven for thinking a hard hat was necessary to navigate West Campus in 2014. Students adjusted to a different set of dining options, new paths to class and the presence of a crane in their Instagram pictures—in addition to the news that commencement exercises will take place downtown and the Chapel will close for renovations in 2015.

Share and discuss “Chronicle Top 10 for 2014: Part II” on social media.