Chronicle Top 10 for 2014: Part I

As 2014 draws to a close, The Chronicle is taking a look at the 10 biggest news storylines of the year. Stay tuned for the top five tomorrow, but for now take a look at numbers ten through six.

10) 40 percent and 4 candidates: the 2014 Duke Student Government election saw the most student engagement in recent memory–with four contenders in the race for president and significant debate around the 40 Percent Plan, a ballot measure which would have allowed students to allocate a portion of their activities fees to the groups of their choosing. As discussion over the plan lit up social media, the presidential race grew tighter. Nikolai Doytchinov, then a junior, dropped out for personal reasons and Rence Nemeh announced the morning of the election that his entire campaign had been a piece of "political performance art." Whether due to the 40 Percent Plan, the crowded presidential race or both, voter turnout spiked by more than 1,000 votes compared to 2013.

9) No peace from Winter Storm Pax: the Spring 2014 semester started off with a little less class than usual, with snow throughout January and February leading to four days of canceled classes (and one postponed basketball game). The biggest impact that weather had had on a semester class schedule in 10 years, the storm led to make-up classes on weekends.

8) Portrait of a porn star: a Duke freshman who turned to porn as a way to support herself made national headlines this Spring—sparking conversations on feminism in sex work, the rising cost of college and more. With interviews with Playboy and appearing on The View and Piers Morgan Live, she inspired dialogue on campus and far beyond.

7) The early admit catches the spot: the Class of 2018 was one for the record books, with the highest admissions yield since 1979 and a lowest-ever 9 percent regular decision acceptance rate. With 47 percent of the class admitted early, 2018ers also set a record for most early decision students—as well as for diversity, with more than 50 percent of the class made up of students of color for the first time. The class also indicated that the tried-and-true stereotype of New Jersey Blue Devils may be on its way out, with the Garden State dropping out of the top five among students' home states.

6) End of an era for DUHS: after a decade at the helm, Victor Dzau stepped down from his position as CEO and president of DUHS and chancellor of health affairs in July. Now the president of the Institute of Medicine, Dzau left behind a legacy that will be hard to match. The search for his successor is still underway, with a decision set to be made soon.

Share and discuss “Chronicle Top 10 for 2014: Part I” on social media.