Students march to protest Ferguson decision (Video)

A protestor holds a sign at the East Campus bus stop, where a student march ended Monday night and the participants gathered to sing and chant.

Students marched from the Duke Chapel to East Campus Monday night, chanting in protest of the decision not to indict police officer Darren Wilson in the August shooting of Michael Brown.

The group—which began as a small prayer circle at the West Campus bus stop—grew as it marched, accumulating approximately 100 people by the time they reached East Campus. Chanting slogans such as “stand up, fight back,” “black lives matter, our lives matter” and “no justice, no peace, no racist police,” the march echoed protests held across the nation Monday following the decision of a Missouri grand jury.

“I think pain is the best way to describe how I feel about tonight,” said senior Cherranda Smith, one of the students who led the march. “There’s a lot of pain here that stretches back beyond just this verdict, and there is anger toward the numbness that we feel. No one was surprised and that hurts, that we weren’t surprised that a man we feel should be indicted was not.”

The gathering was initiated by junior Houston Rhodes and senior Ciera Echols. Echols and Rhodes voiced their sorrow on social media, including on Facebook, Twitter and Snapchat, encouraging friends and fellow students to come out for support. Their two-person group turned into a prayer circle, which later became an organized marching protest.

The crowd attracted the attention of pedestrians as well as Durham residents as it made its way down Chapel Drive, along Swift Avenue and finally onto Main Street, where the group was met with an ovation of honking from cars on the streets.

Though most public reaction to the march was supportive, it was not universally so. As the group passed Bell Tower Dormitory, an individual leaned out of a window to yell, "What the f—k are you guys ranting about?"

Echols noted that the intent of the march was to demonstrate collective action.

“It was really a spirit of the moment,” she said. “People say you can’t make a difference marching, but just coming together expressing ourselves—it was just really beautiful to see everyone come out tonight.”

The march—unaffiliated with any student organization—was joined by students from East, West and Central Campuses alike.

“This is more than just about one case,” said sophomore Eden Ashebir, who joined the crowd in the West Campus prayer circle. “There are many cases in America, day to day, where there is clear racism or inequality in the choice made by the police. I just wish that people will open their eyes and see that this is the reality.”

The diversity of the evening's participants was notable, Ashebir added, emphasizing the importance of raising awareness among people of all races.

Sophomore Elizabeth Tsui, another member of the group, agreed.

“Regardless of what you are—you can be Asian, you can be black, it doesn't matter—there is inequality in the system, and that needs to be addressed,” Tsui said.

Echols and Rhodes said they were impressed and comforted by the turnout.

“We thought it was just going to be the two of us, but look how many people came out,” said Echols—adding that even if it had remained just the two of them, they would have still marched.

Share and discuss “Students march to protest Ferguson decision (Video)” on social media.