Students flock to Loop Bar for Election Night watch party (Video)

Students took to the Loop Bar Tuesday night to watch as midterm election results rolled in.

Watching on dual screens featuring both CNN and Fox News, students across a variety of political denominations turned out to the watch party event hosted by Duke Political Review, Duke Political Union and Connect2Politics. For several hours the room was filled with chatter and applause when race results were announced in favor of both Republicans and Democrats. Several of the major races—including Republican Thom Tillis' victory against Democrat incumbent Kay Hagan in the race for U.S. Senate—were not announced until very late in the evening and many students waited until the end to see.

“It’s staying close and it’s been a lot of fun,” Jacob Zionce, a senior and co-editor in chief of DPR. Zionce said he was happy with the turnout and the diversity of affiliations of the people who came.

Early in the night it was evident that the night would bring a slew of Republican victories. As major races were called in favor of the GOP, some students walked out in the middle of the applause.

“I’m here for the N.C. [Senate] race, which is not going well,” said sophomore Sai Panguluri as results on screen noted Tillis—who serves as speaker of the N.C. House—polling several thousand votes ahead of Hagan. “There were definitely more people here for Democrats before. Some of them are getting out of here because it’s not obviously going to go well.”

Although the room was filled with many Republican supporters, some students were modest about showing their support.

“I’m high fiving people very quietly,” said Momin Ghaffar, a senior and vice president of Duke College Republicans. “I thought it wasn’t going to be as good as it’s going to be…. The adrenaline’s starting to kick in.”

Several students noted that they had come for the N.C. Senate race in particular, such as freshman Callie Fry who said she “just didn’t want Thom Tillis to win,” but others were also closely following key races in their home states.

Sophomore Zach Gorwitz said he was upset that Rick Scott won the gubernatorial race in his home state of Florida, as he believes Scott has not done a good job as incumbent especially with respect to blocking education spending.

Junior Sam Skinner had his laptop open at the bar in order to track the Illinois gubernatorial race as results came in county-by-county. He said he supported Republican Bruce Rauner, the eventual winner, mainly because of Rauner’s economic policies.

“A problem for Illinois especially for my generation is the state deficit. [Raunner would] raise sales taxes in Chicago and I think his plan will cut state spending and bring Illinois back.” Skinner said.

Other attendees at the party were focused on more local results. Freshman Colleen Sharp said she had been following the Wake County District Attorney race closely.

“The office of DA is so important in governing everyday life,” she said. “Your average citizen is going to be so much more affected.”

She also brought up the constitutional amendment that was on the ballot, which allows for criminal defendants to waive their right to a jury trial under certain circumstances. The measure ultimately passed, making North Carolina the final state in the union to adapt such a law.

“It’s been played down so much,” Sharp said of the amendment. “I think it’s ridiculous but it’s obviously going through. It looks like it makes sense, but when you go look further into it I don’t think it’s possible for defendants to make a pure choice.”

Whether or not results turned out in favor of students’ preferred candidates, most admitted that the atmosphere was stimulating to be around other students who cared about politics. Countdowns were started as CNN announced sets of polls closing.

“I would rather be here with other people who have physical reactions to it,” Panguluri said. “I get more animated watching this than I get for Olympic sports.”

Share and discuss “Students flock to Loop Bar for Election Night watch party (Video)” on social media.