Halftime Report: Duke football vs. Pittsburgh

We could be headed for a shootout here at Heinz Field, with the offensive production reminding many of last year's 58-55 shootout in Durham between the Blue Devils and the Panthers.

Duke's bend-don't-break defense was on hand early in the game, when it allowed Pittsburgh to drive 38 yards into Blue Devil territory, but Panther kicker Chris Blewitt never got his foot on the ball due to a botched snap. On the ensuing drive, Duke quarterback Anthony Boone anchored a quick, five-play 60 yard drive that resulted in a 39-yard touchdown toss to wide receiver Jamison Crowder.

But on-queue, the high-powered Panther offense responded by pounding the ball into the heart of the Blue Devil defense with running back James Conner, who punched it into the end zone from one-yard out for his team's first score of the game. With the game tied 7-7, the Boone-led Duke offense marched down the field with ease, taking another early lead on a screen pass to freshman tailback Shaun Wilson. Boone finished the half with 18-of-23 passing for 246 yards and three touchdown passes.

Just minutes later, Pittsburgh struck again. After Tyler Boyd's 64-yard kick return set the offense up with good field position, Chad Voytik called his own number on the quarterback draw, taking it into the endzone from 13 yards out.

After Will Monday's first punt of the game, the Panthers moved into Duke territory again after a Voytik to Boyd 48-yard pass set Pittsburgh up in the red zone. Three plays later, Voytik found tight end J.P Holtz on a short pass and the latter broke through a Jeremy Cash tackle, sliding past the pylon to give the Panthers a 21-14 lead.

The Blue Devil defense continued to have its hands full with Pittsburgh, even after a 45 yard pass from Boone to Crowder tied the game at 21. The Panthers marched down the field once again, and for the second straight drive, Voytik found Holtz in the end zone.

Duke managed to put together one last drive before the end of the half, with Boone leading the Blue Devils down to the one-yard line after completing a 27-yard pass to Crowder. With just three seconds left, head coach David Cutcliffe decided to keep his offense on the field and the gamble paid off. Wildcat quarterback Thomas Sirk dived into the endzone as the clock struck zero, sucking some excitement out of Heinz Field.

When all was said and done, both teams combined for 595 yards of total offense in the first half.

Stay tuned to The Blue Zone and follow us on Twitter at @chroniclesports for updates and analysis of the second half.

Observations from the First Half:

• Jamison Crowder's three early receptions were a cause for celebration. The senior moved into second place in the ACC all-time receptions list, surpassing now-Buffalo Bill Sammy Watkins on his 241st reception late in the first quarter.
  • Crowder's 39-yard touchdown reception was his first against an ACC opponent this season. His previous two touchdown catches this season came on Aug. 30 against Elon. He finished the half with a season-high 149 yards on seven catches.
  • Tyler Boyd was determined not to let Crowder steal the show. He caught five passes for 113 yards, adding a 64-yard kickoff return late in the first quarter.
  • Pittsburgh committed four penalties for 30 yards, including two that aided the Blue Devils in scoring touchdowns on each of their two drives. Duke also added three penalties resulting in 20 yards.
  • Conner shredded the Duke defense with 108 yards on 16 carries, adding a touchdown on Pittsburgh's opening drive.
  • It wasn't only Conner carrying the workload out of the backfield. Voytik and true freshman Chris James also combined for 48 yards on eight carries. He added a 13-yard touchdown scamper in the second quarter.
  • Wilson was the Blue Devils' feature back in the first half, carrying the ball five times for 25 yards. He also caught a four passes for 43 yards and a touchdown.
  • The Blue Devils had trouble getting off the field on third down, allowing the Panthers to convert 4-of-5 third downs in the first half.
  • Duke's rushing attack struggled against the Pittsburgh defense, only registering 43 total rushing yards in the first half.

Share and discuss “Halftime Report: Duke football vs. Pittsburgh” on social media.