Do or donut: Dunkin' and Monuts on the table for MOP

Donuts may soon be coming to Merchants-on-Points.

Duke Dining Services has been contacted by Dunkin' Donuts, which has expressed interest in joining the MOP delivery lineup. At a Monday meeting, members of the Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee weighed the national chain against local option Monuts Donuts—which is also a leading contender for the position, although the logistics for implementing it into a delivery service are not favorable.

“Monuts’ main problem right now is staffing, since they are looking to open another store,” said DUSDAC co-chair Brian Taylor, a junior. “They don’t have a capacity for delivery and their kitchen is overtaxed—a company like Dunkin' is equipped for delivery, which makes it worth looking into. On the other hand, Monuts is a local Durham option.”

In addition to Dunkin' Donuts, two local food trucks—Ladybug’s Treats and Ali Baba Shish Kabob—also expressed interest in joining the food truck lineup. Ladybug’s Treats specializes in desserts using seasonal ingredients, while Ali Baba focuses on a Mediterranean-style menu.

“We will listen to pitches and presentations from these restaurants for joining our MOP lineup in the spring, and they usually replace a similar option that was taken off,” Taylor said. “That’s something to look at near the end of the semester.”

In other business

• Students have expressed concern over the quality of the Mac-ur-Roni food truck and its sales will be evaluated at the end of the semester.
  • Sushi Love wait times have improved since major delays occurred in their first days on the MOP program.
  • Satisfaction is finalizing its contract after being named an official MOP vendor last week.

Committee members voiced student concerns with the Mac-ur-Roni food truck, which has not been well-received due to the quality of the macaroni.

“We were sold on them last year because of how many expanded options were possible with macaroni,” said DUSDAC co-chair Gregory LaHood, a senior. “It’s like a chameleon that takes whatever the dominant flavor is and becomes it.”

All the MOP options and food trucks are evaluated near the end of the semester for how well their sales are doing, Taylor said. He noted that the MOP’s and food trucks with the lowest ratings are usually removed after their yearlong contracts expire. He added that pizza establishments and Jimmy John’s are almost always retained due to their high ratings.

Committee members noted that Sushi Love, which has been delivering since its inclusion on the MOP list, has been generally well-received by students, and wait times have been improving since the first days that it was included on the MOP program. TGI Friday’s, however, has had problems with delivery, including being taken off Radoozle—a food ordering website—for extensive periods of time. Dining Services is currently looking into potential causes of the delivery issues.

Satisfaction Bar and Grill is still in the process of finalizing its contract for inclusion on the MOP program and is seeking to begin delivery by this coming Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the pub-naming campaign for the student-run pub opening in the West Union is ongoing, with a final decision to be made within two weeks. Names such as the Brew Devil have been submitted and are under consideration by DUSDAC and Dining Services.

“If we see two names we want to be together for the pub, we could do that,” said Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey. “We’re looking to get a list of the top three names and pick from those in case any one of those isn’t accepted by the administration.”

Student Health Dietitian Clinician Toni Ann Apadula informed the committee that the Devil’s Advocate brochure for smarter dining choices has been released and distributed copies of the pamphlet to members. The brochure is designed to help students make healthier food choices at vendors on campus.

Apadula noted that Student Health is working on a new template for the brochure and hopes to release them earlier next year.

Share and discuss “Do or donut: Dunkin' and Monuts on the table for MOP” on social media.