Note from the chair of the Editorial Board

As the chair of the Editorial Board, I wanted to take a few moments to reflect on an editorial published this week, Si Se Puede. The editorial seeks to find ways to foster an environment of productive debate among students in the Duke community, and contemplate strategies for broadening the discussion when such outreach is desired. I regret the parts that were misrepresented; it was not the intention of the board to suggest that multicultural groups should have to change.

Nor was it my intention to undermine the many achievements of Mi Gente. Their efforts to reach out and collaborate with other groups during Hispanic Heritage Month are commendable and invaluable to the students and members of the Duke community. From partnering with the Women’s Collective to engage in a conversation about gender roles in Latino communities, to working with Blue Devil’s United in a canvas painting event to show the alliance between communities, to the celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month at The Loop, Mi Gente has worked to unite students from all walks of campus through the celebration of Hispanic heritage.

And I admire Mi Gente’s efforts to continue the dialogue beyond Hispanic Heritage Month. I look forward to the ways the Alianza Latina Poster Campaign—Mi Gente’s ongoing campaign that welcomes all students to participate through its theme, “what does diversity mean to you?”—will continue to connect students and celebrate cultural diversity.

I thank Mi Gente for their hard work in connecting students and the important impact they have on the Duke community.

Share and discuss “Note from the chair of the Editorial Board” on social media.