Bostock renovations set to wrap up in November

Construction on the Rubenstein and Bostock Libraries is in full force and on schedule.

As the first floor of Bostock transforms into an interdisciplinary research space—recently named The Edge—the work on Rubenstein focuses on ceiling framing, the removal of scaffolding in the Gothic Reading Room and the installation of roof tiles, panels and windows. Renovations in both libraries are on track with the planned timeline, said Aaron Welborn, director of communications for Duke University Libraries.

“We expect that the Rubenstein Library will be able to start moving staff and collections back into the building around July of next summer,” Welborn said.

The main change to Bostock is the creation of project rooms, designed to be dedicated spaces for different research groups. Teams working on prolonged projects will be able to reserve the rooms for weeks, a semester or a whole year, Wellborn said. The rooms are designed to serve as a convenient space with access to both technology and library staff.

“They’re meant to be somewhat like incubator spaces for different project teams— so they can meet centrally and benefit from each other’s expertise,” Welborn said.

"We want to make the research process more transparent so people can learn from one another." —Aaron Welborn.

The Edge will also feature regular group study rooms and a large open space for individual study. The group study rooms will be similar to those in the Link, which all students can use for an allotted amount of time when available. To reserve rooms, students will be able to use iPads mounted on the walls.

Welborn added that the rooms will have lockable storage units, allowing students and project teams to lock up their belongings and unpack them at their next scheduled meeting time. The Edge will also feature keypad-operated lockers with electrical outlets, enabling students to charge their phones while they take a break.

All items on first floor of Bostock—including the desks, filing cabinets and periodicals—have been cleared. They are being moved to the help desk closer to the entrance, creating more curved spaces and an interesting geometrical flow, Welborn added.

“They’ve reconfigured the space and put up new walls that divide the space in a different way than it was before,” he said.

Most of the construction in Bostock will be done in early November, Welborn said, ahead of The Edge's official opening in January.

Facilities staff are currently developing a proposal to be sent out this month asking project teams how they will use the space. Welborn said the proposal asks if they would mind sharing their research—possibly in the form of a presentation—in order to promote a more collaborative environment.

“We want to make the research process more transparent so people can learn from one another,” he said.

Share and discuss “Bostock renovations set to wrap up in November” on social media.