Monuts, Sushi Love potential options for Merchants-on-Points

DUSDAC members suggested a number of potential MOP vendors throughout their meeting, including Cosmic Cantina, Q Shack, Tijuana Flats and Harris Teeter.
  • Chubby's Tacos is no longer an option for Merchants-on-Points.
  • Monuts, Sushi Love and Heavenly Buffaloes have become contenders for the program.
  • A series of nutrition-related events on campus is forthcoming.

Heavenly Buffaloes—the recently opened chicken wings joint off of Ninth Street—is one of the latest candidates for the Merchants-on-Points vendor list.

The Duke University Student Dining Advisory Committee discussed possibilities for the open Merchants-on-Points space during their weekly meeting Monday night. Although earlier discussions centered on Vine Sushi and Thai, the restaurant backed out before the semester began, Director of Dining Services Robert Coffey said at DUSDAC's meeting last week—leaving space for one more restaurant to join the program, which allows students to pay for delivery services on food points.

DUSDAC members suggested a number of local restaurants throughout the meeting, including Cosmic Cantina, Q Shack, Tijuana Flats and Harris Teeter. Ultimately the committee agreed to reach out to Heavenly Buffaloes, which opened several weeks ago on West Markham Ave.

Co-chair Gregory Lahood, a senior, suggested the restaurant because it already delivers and is located next to East Campus. As a new establishment, owners want to grow their Duke student customer base, he noted.

The owner has already reached out to Duke Dining, said Coffey, so the committee expects him to be eager to join the program.

Coffey added, however, that Heavenly Buffaloes might be deterred from the program since they likely could not deliver and serve alcohol on campus.

The committee also considered Sushi Love and Monuts Donuts as additions to the program. Members were particularly excited by the possibility of Sushi Love on points, but some were unsure whether Sushi Love would be interested in joining the program.

Concerns were raised about Monuts as well—regarding the restaurant's small business size, possible unwillingness to deliver and the reception by health-conscious students. However, DUSDAC will explore the possibility and reach out to the soon-to-be 9th Street establishment.

Although Chubby's Tacos was discussed as a possibility last week, the Ninth Street hotspot is now off the table.

“Chubby's is no longer so enthusiastic about joining the program," said co-chair Brian Taylor, a junior, despite previous promising conversations with the establishment.

There was also discussion about finding a farm-fresh vendor to add to Merchants-on-Points, as some students mention a lack of access to fresh food as a common complaint. The vendor would allow students to order fresh food, fruits and vegetables that may not be easy to find on or off campus.

In addition to the Merchants-on-Points discussion, there were several updates on topics that were discussed during last week’s meeting—particularly regarding nutrition.

Cafe Edens is updating its allergen information so that it can be seen more easily. DUSDAC also announced a series of nutrition events, including a rainbow salad bar and food tasting, at the Marketplace and Penn Pavilion.

Share and discuss “Monuts, Sushi Love potential options for Merchants-on-Points” on social media.