Duke Global Education Fair 2014

The Global Education Fair presented a series of options through which students can extend their learning beyond Duke.

The fair was held in the Bryan Center Tuesday, with representatives from over 70 programs tabling and disseminating information about the study abroad opportunities available to students. The purpose of these global education programs is to help students explore fields with a new perspective without feeling confined to Duke's campus, said Amanda Kelso, the assistant vice provost for undergraduate education and executive director of the Global Education Office.

"[These programs can] make the world your classroom," Kelso said.

Kelso recommended that applicants be intentional about how they choose programs, especially since Duke offers a selection of programs from a variety of disciplines like public policy, foreign language learning, neuroscience and many others.

When choosing the most suitable program, students should consider "what's right for [them]" and "what comes to [their] mind [when they picture themselves studying abroad]," Kelso said.

The Duke in Oxford program allows participants to become deeply immersed in the British education system, said Jenny Wood Crowley, associate director of the Angier B. Duke Scholars Program. She highlighted the "High Table" events where students dress up on Wednesday nights and weekly meetings with "dons" who tutor their students 2:1 about lectures, papers and other class-related content.

"[The program is] sort of like being in Harry Potter [while attending] basically the oldest university in the Western world," Crowley said.

The Duke in Singapore program is the only study abroad program with students from the home country, which is a unique feature that many past program participants found enjoyable, said Mike Orbach, Emeritus Professor from the Nicholas School of the Environment.

This program is also "a great introduction to Southeast Asia," due to Singapore's diverse Singaporean, Malaysian and Tamil Indian population, Orbach added.

Domestic programs also hold their own. Junior Stephanie Joe said that the Duke in Chicago program was an amazing experience, citing specifically the friendships and internships there.

"It was encouraging to see how [guest speakers and professionals] pursued their passions in the arts," Joe said. "The professors were supportive, positive and engaging."

Share and discuss “Duke Global Education Fair 2014” on social media.