Administrative transitions: a year in review

The 2014-2015 academic year will see a number of administrators stepping into new roles on campus. Take a look at some of the people who have recently moved into new offices and learn what their jobs entail:

Sally Kornbluth, provost

A member of the Duke faculty since 1994, Kornbluth has served as vice dean for basic science at Duke Hospital since 2006. She will bring an impressive background in medical research to the provost's office when she takes over July 1, replacing Peter Lange, whose 15 years in the position make him the longest-serving provost in Duke's history. "I've been at Duke for 20 years and I love Duke," Kornbluth said when she was appointed in March. "I've really enjoyed working with faculty, students and staff to develop new programs to improve the overall quality of life in the School of Medicine, and being given the greater opportunity to do this on larger scale across the campus is really exciting." As provost, Kornbluth will be the University's chief academic officer and work with each of Duke's 10 schools, in addition to a variety of initiatives and institutes—including Duke Kunshan University, which will open its doors in China this Fall. Kornbluth is Duke's first female provost and the first provost with a medical background in more than 30 years.

Janie Long, associate vice provost for undergraduate education

Long, Divinity '81, has served as director of Duke's Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity since 2006. In her time with the CSGD, the center changed its name from the Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Center to its current moniker and moved from the lower level of the West Union to a more visible location in the Bryan Center—all pushing toward a more prominent, open CSGD. Long will take over as associate vice provost from Donna Lisker, who has held the role since 2007 and is leaving to become dean of Smith College in Northampton, Mass. July 1. In the new position, Long will be involved in working on nearly all aspects of the undergraduate experience, ranging from the academic to the residential to the extracurricular.

Lawrence Carin, vice provost for research

Carin has been a Duke professor for twenty years, most recently serving as chair of electrical and computer engineering, and has engaged in significant research stretching across various disciplines. He takes over the role of vice provost from James Siedow, who held the position for 12 years. The job's main features include facilitating funding for research—both from the government and from industry sources—as well as managing regulations and issues with compliance.

Stephanie Helms Pickett, director of the Women's Center

Helms Pickett became director of the Women's Center in March, after serving as interim director for several months following previous director Ada Gregory's move to the Office of Interdisciplinary Project Management. The first black woman to hold the position, Helms Pickett served the University in a number of roles before becoming interim director of the center—including directing Assessment and Professional Development within Student Affairs, chairing Duke’s Bias Analysis Task Force and serving on the Task Force on Gender and the Undergraduate Experience.

Alan Townsend, dean of the Nicholas School of the Environment, and Marion Broome, dean of the School of Nursing

Two of Duke's 10 schools will have new deans at the start of the school year. Both appointments come from outside of the University—Townsend will lead the Nicholas School in its first year in Environment Hall, the school's $35 million new home, while Broome will step in as dean after a decade of significant growth under former dean Catherine Gilliss.

Positions to be filled:

Director of the Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity

A national search for Long's replacement is underway, and the University hopes to fill the role by early in the Fall.

CEO and President of Duke University Health System and chancellor for health affairs

When Victor Dzau steps down from his current role to become president of the Institute of Medicine July 1, he will leave behind a decade of significant growth at DUHS. During his time in the role, he oversaw the establishment of the Duke Cancer Institute and Duke Translational Medicine Institute, as well as the implementation of an electronic medical records system. The University expects to fill the role by early 2015—with Dr. William J. Fulkerson Jr., executive vice president of Duke University Health System, and Dr. Nancy Andrews, dean of the School of Medicine and vice chancellor for academic affairs, reporting directly to President Richard Brodhead while the role is vacant.

Share and discuss “Administrative transitions: a year in review” on social media.