CULTURE  |  MUSIC

Summer Concert Preview

Week of June 30 to July 6

British Invasion Dance Party — July 4 at Motorco Music Hall

Want to celebrate your 4th of July in an unusual way? Then try out Motorco’s inspired bit of British counterprogramming to the day’s American festivities. You can dance all night to fun dance music from Yaz, Cheryl Cole, and other famous British pop artists.

Week of July 7 to July 13

Marissa Nadler and Ama Divers — July 9 at The Pinhook

This will be a small and interactive concert from the prolific singer-songwriter, who is promoting her recently released album “July.” She will be joined by the experimental ambient music group Ama Divers, who combine light shows and other visuals with their beats.

Week of July 14 to July 20

Paul Taylor Dance Company — July 18 and July 19 at DPAC

Taylor is one of the American pioneers of modern dance, and his company has performed acclaimed shows at DPAC many times over the past few years. This time, Taylor’s company will be dancing to the works of jazz group The Raymond Scott Quintette. There will also be an interactive matinee performance for children.

Week of July 21 to July 27

MERGE 25 — July 24 to July 26 at Cat’s Cradle

This is the Triangle Area music event of the summer, as Durham’s Merge Records celebrates twenty-five years of existence. The label is one of the most influential in the country and has produced records for the likes of Arcade Fire, Superchunk, and She & Him. The festival is headlined by the fantastic Neutral Milk Hotel and Caribou.

Week of July 28 to Aug. 3

The Old Ceremony — Aug. 1 at The Pinhook

The Old Ceremony, led by North Carolina musician Django Haskins, plays straightforward rock music inspired by the 1970s. If you’re looking for a no-frills rock concert, this may be the event for you.

Week of Aug. 4 to Aug. 10

Be Loud! ’14 — Aug. 8 and Aug. 9 at Cat’s Cradle

Be Loud ’14 is a fundraising concert for adolescent and young adult cancer patients at hospitals in the Triangle Area. The festival is headlined by rock and jazz acts like The Pressure Boys and The Dexter Romweber Duo.

Week of Aug. 11 to Aug. 17

3 Doors Down Acoustic — Aug. 17 at DPAC

It’s perfect for the mid-2000s revivalist in all of us! This will be a stripped down affair from the band that brought us hits like “Kryptonite.”

Week of Aug. 18 to Aug. 24

Tori Amos — Aug. 20 at DPAC

Maryland singer Tori Amos is currently on tour supporting her 14th studio album “Unrepentant Geraldines.” She’s a truly electric live performer who has influenced everyone from Fiona Apple to Lily Allen. If you arrive at Duke before move-in day, this should be mandatory.

Share and discuss “Summer Concert Preview” on social media.