Two juniors announced as Truman Scholars

Juniors Dominique Beaudry and Jamie Bergstrom were selected as 2014 Truman
Scholars today, according to a Duke News press release.

eadership skills, commitment to public service, academic achievements and likelihood of becoming public service leaders.

“It is a tremendous honor to have two Duke students selected for this prestigious scholarship,” said President Richard Brodhead in the release. “Dominique and Jamie both exemplify the spirit of the Truman Scholarship, with their passion for social change combined with the intellect and work ethic to effect that change. They have taken full advantage of Duke’s extraordinary opportunities and have worked to make both Duke and Durham better. I know they will continue to make an imprint on their communities.”

The scholars were selected from
655 nominations representing more than 290 different colleges and universities. They will each receive up to $30,000 of funding to put towards graduate study.

With the funding, Beaudry
will pursue dual master’s degrees in public policy studies and education at Stanford University.
Special to The Chronicle

“I want to work in D.C. public schools to gain experience in a large district challenged by racial and socioeconomic inequities,” Beaudry said in the release. “I aim to be a high school teacher in a low socioeconomic-status city in North Carolina that is struggling with racial tensions. I believe policy-makers and leaders must experience first-hand how policies affect teaching, students and assessments before they can implement the best solutions.”

With the funding, Bergstrom will pursue a master’s degree in public affairs from Princeton University. Ultimately, she wants to become a human rights officer with the United Nations.
Special to The Chronicle

“I believe that no one should wake up stateless, fearing for his or her life,” Bergstrom said in the release. “My mission is to develop policy that protects displaced individuals and secures human rights.”

This is the second consecutive year that two Duke students have been awarded the scholarship, following Jacob Tobia and Patrick Oathout last year.

Share and discuss “Two juniors announced as Truman Scholars” on social media.