Rodney Hood to enter NBA draft, will not return to Duke basketball

A day after teammate Jabari Parker announced he would enter the NBA draft, redshirt sophomore Rodney Hood declared his intentions to go pro as well.

Not quite a one-and-done, but Rodney Hood's first season with the Blue Devils will also be his last.

The redshirt sophomore announced Friday that he will forego his final two seasons of collegiate eligibility and declare for the 2014 NBA draft. Hood averaged 16.1 points per game and shot 42 percent from 3-point range during his lone season at Duke, earning second-team All-ACC honors.

“I want to thank Coach K, the entire coaching staff, my teammates and everyone involved with the Duke program for giving me this opportunity,” Hood said in a press release. “Playing at Duke was a lifelong dream. Everything I experienced here has helped me grow and develop as a player and as a person."

The Merdian, Miss., native played his freshman season at Mississippi State, where he was named to the SEC's All-Freshman team. He transferred to Duke and sat out the 2012-13 season, but was heralded by head coach Mike Krzyzewski for his abilities in practice.

Hood was named a team captain for the 2013-14 season, becoming the first sophomore to earn a Duke captaincy in nearly a decade.

“Rodney had two terrific years here at Duke,” Krzyzewski said in a press release. “He was an integral part of our team two years ago because he was such a great practice player and this year he was one of the best players in the country. So consistent and a great young man on and off the court. He will do really well in the NBA and obviously he will always be a part of what we do and we wish him the best.”

Krzyzewski alluded to Hood's early departure after Duke's ACC quarterfinal victory against Clemson March 14, when the coach said he wished "we had him for one more year."

Hood is likely to be a first-round selection in this year's draft and could slide into the late lottery with solid performances in his workouts. His announcement comes on the heels of teammate Jabari Parker, who declared for the NBA draft Thursday and is expected to be a top-three pick.

Share and discuss “Rodney Hood to enter NBA draft, will not return to Duke basketball” on social media.