Jeff Capel, Jon Scheyer receive coaching promotions

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski announced changes to his coaching staff Friday afternoon, promoting Jeff Capel to associate head coach and Jon Scheyer to assistant coach.

Capel, who has been a part of the Duke coaching staff since 2011, served as an associate coach during the 2013-14 season. In his first year on Duke's coaching staff, Scheyer was a special assistant.

Krzyzewski's staff changes come less than three weeks after former associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski took the head coaching job at Marquette.

“It is such an honor to be back at Duke as an assistant coach,” Scheyer said in a press release. “The special assistant role I had last year really helped me learn everything from scouting to recruiting to on the court coaching and then really getting to know our guys. I feel so much more prepared to be an assistant coach after having that year as a special assistant here at Duke.”

Of the two promotions, Scheyer's presents a bigger change for the Blue Devil coaching staff. The Glennbrook, Ill., native only had limited responsibilities in his role as a special assistant but now will have full reign as a full-time assistant to participate in practices and recruiting.

“We are ecstatic about Jon joining the staff,” Krzyzewski said in a press release. “He was one of the great players to play at Duke; a national champion and a captain not that far removed so he adds a youthful exuberance to our staff. His knowledge of the game is incredible. I think he will be a terrific teacher and an outstanding recruiter.”

Both Capel and Scheyer spent four years in the Duke backcourt as players. Capel suited up for the Blue Devils from 1993-97, and Scheyer was a member of Duke's 2010 national championship team.

Share and discuss “Jeff Capel, Jon Scheyer receive coaching promotions” on social media.