Duke track and field relays put in top 10 performances at prestigious Penn Relays

Duke finished in the top 10 in three relay events this weekend at the prestigious Penn Relays.

The Blue Devils’ third-place finish in the men’s 4x200 meter relay IC4A division Saturday highlighted Duke’s performances at the 120th running of the historic Penn Relays this weekend.

Senior Marcus Wright led off, positioning the Blue Devils in third place. Sophomore Robert Rohner grabbed the lead on the turn before passing the baton to redshirt junior Isaac Blakeney. Blakeney kept Duke in contention for the win against East Carolina and University of Maryland Eastern Shore but redshirt freshman DeVon Edwards was unable to hold off the Pirates and Hawks, falling back to third place and crossing the line for the team’s final time of 1:25.28.

The Blue Devils earned sixth in the college women’s Sprint Medley Championships of America Friday. Redshirt sophomore Teddi Maslowski and junior Lauren Hansson took the first two 200-meter legs in a combined time of 56.8 seconds. Freshman Madeline Kopp covered her 400 meters with a split of 54.1 seconds. Junior Abby Farley closed out the final 800 meters in 2:07.47, giving Duke a combined time of 3:50.41.

Farley and Kopp also contributed to the Blue Devil’s seventh place finish in Thursday’s college women’s Distance Medley Championships of America.

Sophomore Anima Banks took the first leg for Duke, covering 1,200 meters in 3:28.95. Breaking 54 seconds with her split of 53.42 seconds, Kopp positioned the team in fifth place before handing off the baton to Farley. Farley covered her signature 800 meters in 2:09.56. Freshman Haley Meier, recently crowned ACC Outdoor Champion in the mile, closed out the final leg of the relay with her mile split of 4:46.38.

The Blue Devils will return to competition at the Payton Jordan Cardinal Invitational in Palo Alto, Calif., Sunday, May 4.

Share and discuss “Duke track and field relays put in top 10 performances at prestigious Penn Relays” on social media.