DSG vice presidents elected

A total of 2,370 students voted, an increase of 551 students from last years election. The voting closed at 10 p.m. Thursday, and the results were released at 2:15 a.m. Friday. Attorney General Syed Adil, a sophomore, noted that the results took more than four hours to interpret because of the large number of students who voted and the ranking system that is used in instant-runoff voting.

This election is notoriously long,Adil said. It takes a lot of time to make sure that every vote is counted correctly."

Adil previously told The Chronicle there had been a glitch in the technology system and he was "tallying by hand," but he later said there was no glitch.

The Board of Elections met to certify the results at 2 a.m. Friday. Three of the five board members met in person and the other two members called in.

Sophomore Keizra Mecklai was elected vice president of equity and outreach. Freshman Zachary Gorwitz was elected vice president of residential life. Sophomore Tucker Albert was elected vice president of social culture. Junior David Robertson was elected vice president of Durham and regional affairs. Junior Ellie Schaack was elected vice president of facilities and the environment. Junior Ray Li was elected vice president of academic affairs. Sophomore Billy Silk was elected vice president of services.

Im really excited to keep working on a lot of projects for this year, so the continuity is going to be great, said Li, who served as vice president of academic affairs this past year as well. Youre going to want to do a lot more than youll have time for, but youll want to get as much done as you can.

The Class of 2015 elected Jacob Zionce and Cynthia Wang as senators for academic affairs, Cameron Tripp as senator for residential life, Johnathan Hill-Rorie as senator for equity and outreach and Russell Crock as senator for social culture.

Bret Lesavoy was elected senior class president, and Kenai McFadden was elected senior class vice president.

The Class of 2016 elected Brian Hopkins as senator for residential life, Jay Ruckelshaus and Kshipra Hemal as senators for equity and outreach, Eric Lam as senator for facilities and the environment and Nick Andrade and Neel Desai as senators for Durham and regional affairs.

Nandita Singh was elected junior class president and Bella Kwai was elected junior class vice president.

The Class of 2017 elected Tara Bansal and Emre Sonmez as senators for academic affairs, George Mellgard and Shaker Samman as senators for residential life, Dustin Hadfield and Eric Musselman as senators for equity and outreach, Annie Straneva as senator for facilities and the environment, Priyanka Venkannagari and John McMichael as senators for services, Zachary Dukoff and Tanner Lockhead as senators for Durham and regional affairs and Steven Soto for senator of social culture.

RJ Grant was elected sophomore class president and Tristan Haas was elected sophomore class vice president.

The referendum for several amendments to the DSG constitution passed with 84.36 percent of students voting in its favor.

According to the email sent by DSG to undergraduate students Thursday morning, the amendments transfer the authority to issue Executive Orders from the appointed Cabinet to the elected Executive Board, eliminate the automatic veto of legislation that is neither signed nor expressly disapproved by the President, remove specific rules for Affiliates and residential government, require the Judiciary to sit as a full bench instead of in panels in all cases, and clarify that the Senate may not compel the Judiciary to take a certain action.

Share and discuss “DSG vice presidents elected” on social media.