Mike Krzyzewski checked by trainers after loss to Wake Forest

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski was checked by the team's medical staff after suffering from dizziness and light-headedness during his team's loss to Wake Forest.

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski was hampered with dizziness and light-headedness throughout his team's 82-72 loss to Wake Forest Wednesday night in Winston-Salem, N.C.

The Blue Devil coach remained in the locker room to be evaluated by his team's training staff after the game. Krzyzewski did not address the media, sending associate head coach Steve Wojciechowski in his place.

"First of all, [Krzyzewski] sends his apologies. He would be like to be out here, obviously, rather than me," Wojciechowski said to open his press conference. "Us as a staff, and we as a team expect a full recovery and we'll certainly be here to support him."

Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski left the arena under his own power and is expected to make a full recovery.
Wojciechowski said that he and the rest of the coaching staff did not notice something was wrong with Krzyzewski until the second half when a team trainer rushed to his side during a timeout.

"During one of the timeouts he had to take a knee because of dizziness and light-headedness, and that continued throughout the game and then into the locker room after the game," Wojciechowski said. "Our training and medical staff advised him and did immediate treatment."

Krzyzewski has not been ill, lately, Wojciechowski said. Duke's associate head coach indicated that the course of the game—during which the Blue Devils surrendered a 17-0 run in the closing minutes—could have played a role in the head coach's physical condition.

"I've never met a better fighter than Coach K. He pours his heart and soul into everything that he does." —Steve Wojciechowski

"He's in as good a shape as can be," Wojciechowski said. "I think just the emotion of the game—obviously we weren't playing as well as we needed. There was a great emotional investment into the game. I think maybe the emotion just got the better of him."

Wojciechowski emphasized that he expected Krzyzewski to make a full recovery, and the head coach eventually left the locker room walking under his own power. A statement released by Duke athletics early Thursday morning said that the Hall of Fame head coach was evaluated at Duke University Hospital after the game and that his symptoms had improved considerably.

The Blue Devils will return to the court Saturday night for their final regular-season contest, hosting rival North Carolina at Cameron Indoor Stadium.

"I've never met a better fighter than Coach K," Wojciechowski said. "He pours his heart and soul into everything that he does."

Ryan Hoerger contributed reporting. This story was last updated at 3:00 a.m.

Share and discuss “Mike Krzyzewski checked by trainers after loss to Wake Forest” on social media.