Nasher announces new curator of modern art

The Nasher Museum of Art announced Marshall Price as the new curator of modern and contemporary art.

In the newly created position, Price will facilitate new exhibitions and programs within the museum. He officially assumes the role of Nancy Hanks Curator of Modern and Contemporary Art in March. Before coming to Duke, Price worked as the curator of modern and contemporary art at the National Academy Museum in New York City for 11 years.

“Marshall brings tremendous experience to the Nasher Museum as an art historian and museum professional,” Sarah Schroth, Mary D.B.T. and James H. Semans Director of the Nasher Museum, said in the release. “He brought international attention to the National Academy Museum, infusing that venerable, 200-year-old institution with new art and programs. He perfectly complements the expertise of our curators with his background in American modernism as well as international contemporary art.”

Price noted that he has watched the Nasher grow since its inception in 2005 into one of the country’s premier mid-size museums.

“I am thrilled to be part of the museum’s next decade—building the permanent collection, organizing exhibitions that travel the world, publishing original catalogues and working with Duke’s outstanding faculty and students,” Price said in the release.

Price earned a Ph.D. in American modernism from the City University of New York in 2011 and earned a master’s degree in art history from Pennsylvania State University. He has also previously worked as an assistant curator at the Santa Barbara Museum of Art in California.

Share and discuss “Nasher announces new curator of modern art” on social media.