NPHC launches first spring week

Spring Week is intended to educate students and draw potential new members

For the first time, the National Pan-Hellenic Council, representing historically black fraternities and sororities, is offering a Spring Week to increase its visibility on campus due to its expansion and Fall Week success.

Although NPHC is not conducting rush in the Spring, the council wanted to host informational events to educate students and draw potential new members. The events include a Meals on Wheels community service event, a dessert progressive and a 90s-themed party.

NPHC has doubled in size following Fall recruitment, said President Segun Babatunde, a senior. With its expansion, Babatunde noted that the week would give students the opportunity to interact with council members.

“I’m really excited to be a part of the first spring week,” Babatunde said. “It’s really symbolic of everything NPHC has been about this year, which is expanding and doing new things and not settling for the way things were but trying to improve the council.”

Although NPHC has a week of events in the Fall to introduce the council to students, First Vice President Najerie Danns, a senior, said it lacks significant presence during the Spring when Greek life is supposed to be "in the spotlight.” She noted that the turnout has been good and that many freshman attended.

“There is a buzz about [Panhellenic Association and Interfraternity Council] recruitment, and many students think that these are their only options,” Danns wrote in an email Thursday. “We really just wanted to come together and host a week of events as a council to have a bigger impact and make sure that we are presented as another viable option for students interested in sororities and fraternities.”

NPHC started planning the event last semester and developed a committee to plan the week.

“We really put a lot of hard work into making sure that we weren’t putting on events that were repetitive, but at the same time really demonstrated what all of our organizations stand for,” Babatunde said.

Reverend Sean Palmer, adviser to Duke NPHC and assistant director of the Mary Lou Williams Center for Black Culture, said he tries to attend all of the events.

“Both weeks are designed to build awareness around NPHC's contributions to the Duke campus,” Palmer wrote in an email Thursday. “The events have been well received by the campus.”

NPHC plans to continue holding a Spring Week in the future.

“My favorite event was the Meals on Wheels event on Monday," said Babatunde, noting the unique nature of each event. "Giving back to the greater community is really a huge part of every single one of our chapters. We get to unite and give back to the community together.”

Share and discuss “NPHC launches first spring week” on social media.