Source: Alex Murphy to transfer from Duke

Redshirt sophomore forward Alex Murphy will transfer at the end of the semester, a source familiar to the matter confirmed to The Chronicle.

Alex Murphy has made the decision to transfer from Duke, a source familiar with the matter confirmed to The Chronicle.

Murphy, a redshirt sophomore, will transfer at the end of the semester. The Blue Devils do not play again until Dec. 16 against Gardner-Webb after the conclusion of the Fall semester. Finals begin Tuesday Dec. 10 and finish Sunday Dec. 15, after which an announcement would be likely.

Murphy redshirted his freshman year and has seen limited playing time in the past two seasons. He has sat out four of the team’s past five games. As a redshirt freshman, he played in 31 games, averaging 6.3 minutes per game and 2.1 points.

According to NCAA rules, players have a five-year period of eligibility that begins when they first enroll as a first-time student. Because Murphy redshirted his first season after suffering an early-season concussion, any time he spent sitting out due to transfer rules would be lost playing time.

If he spent a full year sitting out, that would give him a year and a half to play at another school after a year and a half of playing at Duke. That lost time could be appealed, however.

He may ultimately land at Florida, according to Blue Devil Lair and Scout (subscription required for both). Murphy’s brother, Erik Murphy, played at Florida and now plays for the Chicago Bulls.

Share and discuss “Source: Alex Murphy to transfer from Duke” on social media.