Jela Duncan to miss 2014 season due to suspension

Sophomore Jela Duncan, who was Duke's leading rusher for the 2013 season, was suspended for a year by the University for academic violations.

Sophomore running back Jela Duncan was suspended from Duke due to a violation of University academic policy, the team released Saturday. Duncan will be eligible to return to Duke for the Spring 2015 semester and will not participate in the upcoming Chick-fil-A Bowl against Texas A&M or the entire 2014 season.

Duncan appeared in all 13 of Duke's game this season, rushing for a team-high 562 yards and averaging 5.0 yards per carry. The Charlotte native also caught 13 passes for 123 yards and a touchdown.

With Duncan out of the lineup, more of the responsibilities at running back will fall to redshirt junior Josh Snead and sophomore Shaquille Powell. The Blue Devils typically utilized three running backs throughout the season, which means senior Juwan Thompson, who has split time in the backfield and at linebacker this season, could see more carries in Duke's bowl game.

The Blue Devils will now have two players suspended for their Dec. 31 bowl game. Sophomore safety Dwayne Norman was tossed from Duke's ACC championship game loss for a targeting penalty and will be forced to sit out the first half of the Blue Devils' matchup with the Aggies.

Share and discuss “Jela Duncan to miss 2014 season due to suspension” on social media.